You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canon 70D #1
John James's picture
by John James
July 15, 2013 - 10:58pm

So Canon announced the 70D which looks promising.

My question is this: How long does it take Apple to add a new camera so that Aperture will recognize the camera for downloading not only images but video? RAW profiles? Any idea?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
July 15, 2013 - 11:43pm

For new Canon cameras it takes anywhere from before you can buy it to 3 or 4 months later. Over the last year or so they have been doing it faster. No way to predict for sure though. If you need the camera right away, just shoot RAW+JPEG until the RAW support arrives. That’s what I plan to do assuming the cash is available in Sept to buy it.

Thomas

John James's picture
by John James
July 16, 2013 - 12:54am

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that.

So even if Canon hasn’t gotten around to the RAW profiles, will Aperture recognize the 70D or does Apple have to do something in addition to the RAW profiling to make that happen?

Looks like I opened up a whole can of worms with this video idea. In reading about the 70D there is a lot of press regarding its upgraded video AF system. Previously I have been taking video with a Canon camcorder and it was pretty easy to get the footage into iMovie. E.G. plug the camcorder into the commuter, open iMovie. The program recognized the camcorder and I simply imported the footage. Done. With a DSLR I found out it’s not that easy. iMovie doesn’t recognize the T4i for example because it’s not a video camera per se. So, how exactly do I get the footage into my editing program. Ugh. I know I can import the footage into Aperture and then it does open in iMovie after building appropriate thumbnails. Is that footage as good as coming straight from a camcorder for example? And if I don’t do it that way, since there isn’t a way to use stabilization, how do people get their footage out of the DSLR and into an editing program whether iMovie or FCP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
July 16, 2013 - 1:15am

Aperture won’t recognize the D70 RAW files until Apple provides an update for it. The same holds true for Photoshop and Lr. Your alternatives are to either shoot jut straight JPEG, or if Adobe updates their Camera RAW Converter to support this camera, use it to convert the D70 RAW files to DNG.

As to getting video footage from the camera to iMovie or whatever, just copy it from the SD or CF card to your Mac to a folder of your choosing.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
July 16, 2013 - 1:28am

I haven’t used iMovie for awhile, but FCP X imports DSLR footage painlessly. They’ve really optimized the process of getting DSLR video files into projects. No conversion is required unless you want to optimize the video (i.e. convert to ProRes) to make things run smoother on slower machines.

Thomas

John James's picture
by John James
July 16, 2013 - 5:51am

Thanks guys. Guess I have things under control!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?