You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brushing highlights to an entire image #1
Bret Vogel's picture
by Bret Vogel
November 18, 2011 - 3:41am

I have really loved using Aperture to do things I used to only be able to do in Photoshop. The textures that I bought from here are fantastic. One thing that I have not been able to part with photoshop with for, are Luminosity Masks as outlined by Tony Kuyper. I feel like I can get pretty close to creating one of these in Aperture with a brush adjustment on curves. If I set the strength appropriately on highlights, mid tones, or shadows and then brush the entire image, I am then able to control contrast in a very delicate way.

The problem is that when I attempt to brush an entire image on my new i5 MacBookPro, Aperture decides it wants to die. It takes about six years, does not record half of my brush strokes, and is generally miserable. I love Aperture, but sometimes I feel like the expectation is that I am only able to run it on a MacPro with 42 processors and infinite RAM.

I don't mind having to wait a bit for the adjustment to be applied, it's still better than using an external editor.

Is anyone aware of an applescript or automator action to brush highlights, mid tones, or shadows on an entire image?

Choosing apply to entire image doesn't work. If you choose 'show brushstrokes' you'll see you have not created a mask for specific tones, it's all or nothing.

Thanks!!

BRet

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 18, 2011 - 9:57pm

Bret,

Interesting dilema. I see what you’re doing, and am definitely able to reproduce the slow-down here on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Air. I’m guessing that this command is being handled by the GPU, and from what I recall, the MacBooks with the i5 processor have a lower-end GPU in them. The i7 MacBooks are the ones designed for heavier-duty work (i.e. Aperture) featuring more capable GPUs.

How new is the Mac?

I’m not aware of any tricks to apply to the whole image at once. I tried brushing in various modes (overlay, on black, etc.) and they’re all the same.

I don’t have much of a suggestion for you I’m afraid.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bret Vogel's picture
by Bret Vogel
November 24, 2011 - 4:16am

My computer is the last generation (not the ones that just came out). If it’s being handled by the GPU then it kind of makes sense why thats happening. I suppose they just didn’t make that tool for that use, and I happened to think it would be cool. Oh well.

As a side note, your textures have really inspired me to get out and shoot more as I feel I am able to be a lot more expressive with my images and do it quickly without having to feel like I am creating a painting in photoshop. I have recommended them to all kinds of people through my work as an Aperture trainer (for a company that doesn’t like me talking about them on forums).

flickr.com/photos/bretvogel/633965345

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 24, 2011 - 4:32am

Bret,

Thanks for the promotion then, it’s appreciated. And if you want to talk training off-forum, feel free to contact me through the contact page.

FYI your link goes to a “this is not the page you’re looking for”, but I do still see your photos. Nice stuff!

I’ll try out your technique on my iMac when I get back home from this trip. I’m interested to see if it’s any less painful on a more powerful graphics card.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness