You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Vault & Storage Plan On The Road For 2 Months #1
Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 2, 2013 - 3:24pm

Hi

I am on the road in SE Asia shooting for 2 months.

I have with me my MB Air 64gb, a 750 Gb external HDD and a1 Tb HDD.

Using Aperture and shooting RAW from Nikon D3s bodies and Lumix GH3.

What is the best approach to storing and backing up using the available kit? I can't decide where to put the library, whether to use the files as referenced (in which case, how can I export the images with their edits done as I travel once I return home?) or managed and so on.

Thoughts?

Marcus

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 5, 2013 - 7:20am

Personally I would create a managed library on the 750GB HDD, and sync it daily over to the 1TB HDD. I doubt you will have enough room on the MBA 64GB internal to host the managed Library. Using a managed Library and syncing it to the other disk guarantees you have at least two copies of everything. You might even consider getting a 1TB MyPassport drive (USB powered) before you leave to come home. Sync a copy to that and ship it back to the US separate from your own travels. If you are running OS X 10.8, you can encrypt it with FileVault 2 so no one can steal the images if they steal the drive. That would give you three copies. You can’t be safe enough when traveling that distance.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 6, 2013 - 12:42am

Hi Walter

Thanks; that’s more or less what I have done - I don’t think there will be anywhere near enough space on the MB Air for the library.

I’m still running 10.7 as my MB Pro workstation in the studio is ‘not allowed’ to upgrade to 10.8 courtesy of Apple so since it works just fine and I refuse to buy another one for no good reason all my machines are on 10.7 to ensure that they are all the same when I am switching between the 3 of them.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?