You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Backup on external HD and keep some file inside lib #1
guido tramontano's picture
by guido tramontano
August 5, 2011 - 6:11am

Hello everybody,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I have been using Aperture regularly since its first release and I know it well enough.

Before asking my question I think you should know a little bit about my workflow.
As a wedding photographer I regularly make a backup of all RAW files on two external drives to keep my working Ap Library smaller.
I only work with referenced masters.
When I make a backup of a wedding though, I often need only a few files to remain on the working hard drive so that I can show samples to clients when they come to my studio.
For this reason I have created smart albums called, say, samples.
If I made a backup on external drive and delete the project then all the file in the smart album would result as offline.
I don't want to connect an external HD when clients are here.

Any suggestion to backup folders, deleting projects and keeping only the masters for the images that are in smart albums?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 5, 2011 - 1:02pm

Guido,

You can selectively move masters for files, so if you select all the ones in the Smart Album, you could then move those masters (using the Relocate Masters command) to a local or the internal drive (or even temporarily move them as managed, which might make finding them to move back to your external drive later easier).

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

guido tramontano's picture
by guido tramontano
August 5, 2011 - 5:40pm

Thank you Joseph, I think making those images as managed and keep them within the library is a great idea!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness