You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
automatically stack preview versions #1
Eric Dravon's picture
by Eric Dravon
April 21, 2010 - 9:26am

Hi,

I am new to Aperture 3 and I am currently reading your beginner’s guide. You mentioned in a short form the possibility of “automatically stack preview versions”.

What is the benefit of doing that? Is there an easy answer?

Last question: I have split my photos into two libraries. One for RAWs only and one for JPGs. I don’t know if this is making sense. I have the RAWs on my NAS, means I have only access when I am at home or I export a pic.

Is this useful? Should I change it to one libraries?

When I am finishing working on a RAW I export the pic and import it into the JPG Library. In the JPG Library I create than Diashows, MobileMe Galleries etc.

I know that there are millions of ways to handle the libraries. …

Cu
Eric

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 21, 2010 - 9:48am

Eric,

I think you’re making it harder than it needs to be.

First question; to automatically stack new versions, open the preferences and there’s an option in there under General that says “automatically stack new versions”. This means whenever you create a new version of an image, it’s created in a little stack that you can close. You can always extract an item from the stack as well (look for it in the menu). This makes keeping track of similar images easy, and also allows you to close the stack and view only your stack pick (favorite) of the bunch.

Now… there’s no need to maintain two libraries. Your RAW files can live on an external drive, and if you let Aperture generate the preview files (discussed in the eBook you have as well as here in an “opposite of what you want” kind of way ;-) ), you will always have your JPEG’s with you, even when your RAW files aren’t connected. Automatically. No export required.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Eric Dravon's picture
by Eric Dravon
April 21, 2010 - 1:35pm

Thank you Joseph.

I will import the RAWs into my DB and keep them saved on the NAS. Sounds good.

Got your point on the Stack. Sounds not to bad to me. I will activate that option.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 21, 2010 - 2:18pm

Eric,

Stacks used to work that way by default, but I guess some users found it confusing, so Apple made it an option. Personally I like having versions stacked; it makes sense to me.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness