You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are you reprocessing older Raw files to new? #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 16, 2012 - 2:04am

Was wondering what people do when a new Aperture updates come out. Do you update all Raw files so everything is current or only raw files that are imported going forward. Would it effect the library and vaults by having to keep all the legacy stuff. I know right now I have too much time on my hands. just curious

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 17, 2012 - 3:20am

DB,

Aperture 3.3 doesn’t have a new RAW engine, so the question is moot for this release. However in general, personally I only update the RAW engine if I revisit a file, and if I already really like where it’s at, I’ll duplicate it first just to be safe. Usually though I just reset the image and reprocess, and go to town.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 17, 2012 - 3:53am

Oh I went back and rebuilt the thumbnails and previews of the color tests I was doing to get the correct color in 3.3 Only the tests I was doing. But it got me thinking of Ap1, AP2 and maybe AP4 Raw engine. I did do search for ap1 and I had 0, AP2 I still had a bunch. I thought Id get all up to date in preparation of Ap4 if they do indeed have an Raw engine upgrade. Guess Im concerned with Legacy images moving forward. I always reevaluate images before printing or sending out, cuz my tastes change in processing styles.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 17, 2012 - 8:13am

Yeah, I wouldn’t just blanket convert everything. Reason being, while the move form 1 to 2 wasn’t big, imperfectly exposed images I’d adjusted in Ap2 then converted to Ap3 were way off, because my dramatic adjustments were no longer needed. The Ap3 engine is way, way better than ones before it. But if you’ve already compensated for it, then you’ll end up with a crap image (until you reset it and work it again, if needed).

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness