You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture suddenly acting buggy: photo adjustments not showing up #1
Argelius's picture
by Argelius
April 30, 2012 - 5:29am

Aperture has starting acting really oddly. The primaryt thing I've noted is that when I make adjustments, frequently they aren't being reflected in the image shown (as if the “preivew” isn't being updated. I know the adjustments are doing something, since the histogram curves change as I'm making changes. Moreover, if I toggle between the master and the version, no change is displayed (although the histograms do change).

The above behavior happens about 80% of the time, with the other 20% of the time things act normally. I can't determine any pattern to when things work or don't work.

I tried deleting all the previews and recreating them all, thinking maybe there was some issue with the preview database. Alas, that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 30, 2012 - 5:58am

Need more info. Is aperture the only program opened ? How much ram do you have? Do you have adequate empty HD space for AP to think with? You did run the rebuilding feature of AP by holding the option command key at start up? Thanks David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 30, 2012 - 12:37pm

Glenn (and David),

Honestly it sounds more like the issue of the Viewer not updating is getting worse. Read this post “Viewer Not Updating After Going to an External Editor or Plug-in? Try This…” and see if those “fixes” help.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Argelius's picture
by Argelius
May 1, 2012 - 2:20am

Thanks for your help with this. Driving me nuts.
I had recently uninstalled iPhoto and thought maybe that might be the problem, so I reinstalled it, to no avail.

I’ve got 6 GB RAM. My MacBook AIr is definitely getting low on space (have 32 GB free), so I don’t know if that’s the problem.

Other bizarre behaviors also happen from time to time. For instance, occasionally, when I try to adjust highlights, the slightest movement of the slider (to the right) makes the image turn completely white.

I will try the opt/rebuilding function and see if that has a positive effect.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 1, 2012 - 2:56am

6mg ram is good but the 32 gb of HD is getting low. Are you images referened or managed? If managed you need to go to reference. Do these issue come up when you first turn on your computer and you have closed all open programs before starting AP. You can look here http://tinyurl.com/6lqfb7g for AP trouble shooting. And look there for deleting user preferences too.
good luck

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Argelius's picture
by Argelius
May 1, 2012 - 5:23am

Thanks. I’ll try some of those suggestions.

Here is a screen capture of one of the random odd behaviors. I was making an adjustment using “sharpen” and the screen turned partially blue, with the intensity changing as I moved the slider.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n-QcoRv8cYzqF9acuE7dZT-bQ7GSq1YKPo…

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 1, 2012 - 7:53am

Weird image. Joseph has put a lot of self help ideas in the FAQ section. If a rebuild of the data base and the dumping of the pref file and Cache does not do it. Id have someone run some diagnostic test (Apple?) on the graphics card and hardware.

did you try making your library smaller or is it Referenced now? you need more HD space

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2012 - 3:05am

Glenn and DBmmore,

If it’s a MacBook Air then that means a SSD with minimal storage space. 32GB free is fine. I don’t hit slowdowns on my Air until I’m done to 1 or 2GB free. Those SSD drives are fantastic.

Try making a new Library and importing an image into that to test. See if the problem is in the Library or elsewhere. Follow this sequence in the FAQ.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness