You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture to Smugmug Upload - Lots of Photos #1
Jason Finner's picture
by Jason Finner
July 31, 2012 - 1:36am

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to upload my whole library (broken down by year - about 1000 photos each) to Smugmug for backup purposes. I subscribe to the Pro level and I understand that storage is unlimited for jpegs. I shoot in raw but I thought that having jpeg backup (for no extra cost) should be done in addition to the external backups that I do.

Everytime I select all the images for 1 year (say 1000 images) and I use the Aperture to Smugmug Exporter, it times out between say 30 to 300 images and hangs up. Do I need to leave my iMac alone while this is performed? (including staying off the internet?). We have a good consistent provider (never any downtime in 2.5 years) dl speed is about 19mb/s and upload around 1.5-2 mbps.

Any experiences, tips would be helpful. Its a pain to go back into Smugmug, see what the last photo that was uploaded, then head back to Aperture, select the remainder of the images and upload again…only to find out that 50 images made it.

Thx,

JF

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 7:04am

Jason,

Probably just an inefficiency in the plugin. Either contact the developer, or try the plugin SmuginProForAperture. I use that one, and I recall working with the developer years ago about the same issue, and he made some adjustments to the plugin that helped.

Even with that plugin I have seen it just stop uploading; I think it has to do with the SmugMug servers and how they respond back to the plugin. However I’ve always been able to just look online to see what the last photo updated was, adjust my selection and start over.

You could also consider just exporting JPEGs to the finder and using SmugMugs own web uploader. Come to think of it, that’s probably the easiest route. The plugins work great most of the time, but I think pushing 1,000 images at a time may be a bit much for them.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jason Finner's picture
by Jason Finner
July 31, 2012 - 8:44am

Thanks for the ideas Joseph and the quick response! I’m going to try to use the JPEG/Smugmug importer idea that you have first. I’ll report back and see if this works any better. I was spoiled on the first upload (2008) which was about 800 images and it worked on the first try…not much luck since.

Thanks again,

JF

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness