You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture slow!! #1
rongor's picture
by rongor
August 6, 2011 - 12:41am

Aperture is intermittently unusable since I upgraded to Lion. Contstanly processing and i've had freezes and sudden quits. I've tried the tip about using the “L” key to run thru my library without success. There are messages on the Apple forum but I thought I would come to the authority. I've tried rebuilding, clearing caches but nothing works permanently. Anyonecwith any suggestions other thancwait for a fix?

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
August 6, 2011 - 12:50am

Can I ask what specs you mac is, how much memory does your mac has?

I am a BIG believer that with a new release of an operating system that you should always install a fresh. Although apple seem to insist an upgrade is ok. I did a fresh install of Lion and not experienced a single issue with aperture.

Do you have any other software running in the background? If so have you closed all the background apps?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 6, 2011 - 4:07am

Ron,

I know it’s not ideal, but can you try running from a fresh library for a while? Even just export some current projects to a new library, and work from that? That’ll at least tell you if it’s a Library problem or a system problem.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

rongor's picture
by rongor
August 6, 2011 - 10:36am

I am using a mid 2010 MBP with 4G of ram. I had not experienced these problems till Lion. I have installed new plugins from NIK so it is possible they are contributing. I can try the new library option and report back.

Thanx

Ron

rongor's picture
by rongor
August 6, 2011 - 10:36pm

I’ve been doing a bit of google foo and in Apple’s forums there is a long thread about A3. I looked at Activity Monitor and believe the problem at least in part is memory usage. In 64 bit aperture begins to consume most of my 4 Gigs and the swap files goes up dramatically. Switching A3 to 32 bit, the speed increases to pre problem levels (so far) and the memory usage improves dramatically. I also stopped “Spotlighting” my aperture folder but I’ll turn that back on soon. Aperture has been 64 bit for a while so it is either version 3.1.3 or Lion or a combination. I’ll keep using and see how things roll.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
August 6, 2011 - 10:44pm

Ron,

I am currently running Aperture 3 via a Macbook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) with 8GB DDR 3 Ram. I assume you are running the most current version of Aperture 3? There where some speed issues when Aperture 3 was first released.

Presently I have no real issues running Aperture via Lion. However I do not have any Libraries located on my internal hard drive. I use external Firewire 800 drives that hold all my images (managed). I also use Nik and OnOne plugins. Did have a couple of issues with OnOne after installing Lion, however those have been resolved.

Stu

rongor's picture
by rongor
August 7, 2011 - 12:29pm

Stu

I only have 4GB but it always worked well prior to 3.1.3/Lion. Aperture was chewing up all my ram even with other programs closed in 64 bit. Running in 32 bit seems to have resolved the issue for now.

Helen Newall's picture
by Helen Newall
January 15, 2012 - 11:00pm

L

Helen Newall's picture
by Helen Newall
January 15, 2012 - 11:27pm

Aperture 3 runs impossibly slow for me too. Since upgrade to Snow Leopard, in fact. Moved to Lightroom 3 in the end (heresy!). But i still start it up hopefully everyso often. But it also makes everything else run slow too so I’m thinking its a memory usage problem… Still waiting for a fix…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 17, 2012 - 1:11am

Helen,

1. How much RAM do you have in your system (and what processor are you running on)
2. How much free space is there on your system hard drive?
3. Are you running Time Machine?
4. Do you have a cloud backup running, such as Backblaze or Carbonite?
5. Do you have DropBox installed?
6. Do you have any anti-virus, system monitors, or anything else you can think of that’s installed that runs in the background on a regular (or irregular) schedule?

You’re not alone, but from my experience most speed issues can be narrowed down to a combination of these things and can be sped up dramatically by making some simple changes. If you can answer all those questions for me, that’ll help me help you, and others!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

john mo's picture
by john mo
September 3, 2013 - 2:37am

hello, i am running aperture 3.4 on a late 2007 imac core duo with 8gb of ram, 265 on the gfx card and lion. After the upgrade to lion aperture started to load and run very slow. To do almost any color grading on a photo takes much to long… ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Never had any issues until the upgrade.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness