You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture problem with networking #1
Alex Cordiner's picture
by Alex Cordiner
November 15, 2010 - 1:54am

Hi,

I have only been a dedicated Aperture user for the past 10 months or so having switched from Lightroom. I have a somewhat complicated setup in that I have a Drobo connected via firewire to a Mac Mini which I then access using shared folders from a Macbook Pro.

After some experimentation with referenced files, I decided that the easiest way of going forward was to use the “managed” file option of Aperture in the thought that it would be easier to manage long term by splitting projects into separate libraries.

The problem that I have is that the master images are not being deleted within he library package when I open the library using the share on my Macbook Pro via the Mac Mini. This will leave me with many orphaned master images within the library that I do not wish to keep and that will clog up disk space. I only discovered this issue when I deleted quite a few images and did not see the library file size decrease.

Anybody got any advice? I can't be the only one opening libraries across a network share?

Many thanks

Alex

Alex Cordiner's picture
by Alex Cordiner
November 15, 2010 - 2:26am

Upon further investigations I now know what the issue is but still don’t have a solution. I believe Aperture works on a 2 step process when deleting images. Step 1 is that deleted images are placed into the Aperture Trash can. Step 2 - Images are moved into the system trash can when deleted from Aperture trash. My problem is that the images are not transferred to the system trash when doing step 2. Instead they disappear from the Aperture trash leaving the masters orphaned and clogging up the Aperture library.

Any solutions please?

Thanks

Alex

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 16, 2010 - 11:18pm

Alex,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I’m traveling at the moment.

Unfortunately the only answer for you is to stop accessing the Library across a network. Aperture was never designed to function across a network, and while it may appear to work the same as if you had it on a local drive, as you have discovered, that’s not always the case. If you were to ask Apple this question, their answer would simply be that this is not a supported configuration.

It’s even risky keeping your masters on a network drive as referenced while the Library lives locally—although a fair number of people do that. You’re the first I’ve heard of trying to access the entire Library across a network though. Don’t you find it slow? Even a gigabit ethernet network is much slower than local hard drive.

I’m assuming there’s a good reason you don’t just have your Drobo plugged into your Mac Pro, however I’m going to recommend that you do exactly that, and get another hard drive for whatever other data is on that Drobo that you’re keeping it on your Mac Mini for.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you,

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?