You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Oddities #1
Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
August 1, 2010 - 4:43pm

I’ve noticed a few things in Aperture 3 that I think are counter intuitive. What do you guys think? Feel free to add your own.

1. When I apply a preset, it automatically replaces any existing adjustment brick I might have had. For instance, if I already have a curve adjustment and then apply a preset that includes another curve adjustment, the original curve is replaced. I would like the option to append the preset bricks in stead of replacing them, like you can with the Clone/Stamp tool.

2. Why can’t I flag or unflag an image from the viewer window? I know there’s a keyboard shortcut but it seems silly to display the flag icon and not let people click on it.

3. Why can’t I apply presets or adjustments to multiple images at once? When I drag a selection and apply an adjustment, I expect the whole selection to be affected, not just the “most” selected image.

Morten Scheel
@afringedweller

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 12:55am

Morten,

3. :-)

2. Gottcha—it appears that you can click on the thumbnail but not the preview in all views. I’m sure there’s a good reason for it, and it is consistent.

1. They’ll see it here.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 3, 2010 - 1:44pm

Morten,

Some answers are easier than others…

1) You’re partially correct here, and in digging into this, I realize that the results are inconsistent. If you apply a change manually (i.e. Curves, using your example), then apply a preset, it does in fact replace it. You can duplicate the Adjustment, then apply the preset, but it still applies the preset to the first instance of the adjustment. The only solution (appears to be) to apply your manual adjustment to the SECOND instance, and then when you apply the preset, it’ll apply to the first. Obviously this is a Crap Solution™ if you don’t know you’re going to want to apply a preset later.

However if you do apply a preset, then apply another one, the new adjustments are added to it. In fact you’ll see a notice that if you want to replace the current settings, you have to hold down the option key (these instructions show up in the preset preview window, at the bottom).

It’s an interesting conflict, and one worth noticing by Apple.

2) Not sure why that’s not working for you; it is for me. In all three of the Browser, Split View and Viewer views, I can Flag the photo with both the flag icon in the Metadata tab, and the keyboard shortcut. Can you explain more of what you’re seeing (or not seeing)?

3) You can. In Aperture, anything done in the Adjustments tab will only be applied to the primary selection. However if you go to the menu (in this case, the Photos > Add Adjustment > … menu), any selection made there will apply to all. There are very good reasons for this, when you get into more complex workflows. Imagine if you’re viewing an group of images in the Viewer and want to make an adjustment to only one of them—currently you can do that, using the Adjustments tab. Or apply to all, from the menu. But if both did all selected images, then there’d be no way to apply an adjustment to just one image when multiple are selected. And when you’re narrowing down a large block of nearly identical images to the single best one, this level of control is absolutely critical.

I hope that helps, and for #1, let’s hope Apple notices!

cheers,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
August 5, 2010 - 4:05am

Thanks for you support Joseph.

In reverse order:
3. Great. Now I feel soooo stupid :) Don’t know how I missed that one.

2. When I talk about not being able to click the flag icon, I’m talking about the icon in the top right corner of the image/thumbnail. Clicking it only has an effect in the browser view and in the browser part of split view. Is it different on your system?

1. Thanks for coming up with a solution. I think I’ll wait for Apple to do the same. Do you know if they’re aware or should I send them some product feedback?

Morten

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness