You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture not displaying Photoshop edits properly #1
Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
November 19, 2013 - 4:12am

As I often edit images in Photoshop, I noticed Aperture is not displaying those images correctly. The histogram clearly shows differences and the actual image displays differently as one would anticipate considering the histogram differences. On some images the white and black points are set correctly in Photoshop only to show blown highlights in Aperture.

Below are screen shots RGB histograms in both programs. Even from these images you can see the photoshop image is brighter than aperture’s.

Needless to say this is a bit disturbing as I normally print out of Aperture. When I spend a lot of time in Photoshop, I want those edits to be displayed. Both are TiFF files.

Any clues as to what may be happening?

View: original size

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 19, 2013 - 4:30am

The Photoshop screenshot looks like a luminance histogram rather than an RGB histogram.

Once back in Aperture, is there any adjustments applied? Can’t really see from the screenshot.

Thomas

Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
November 20, 2013 - 12:03am

Both are RGB histograms. Really starting to wonder if they really are. But that is their problem. 

No, just imported the image back into Aperture. 

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 20, 2013 - 4:37am

I did a quick test and The image was acceptable.  I do find the eyedropper size in AP too small of a point,  Photoshop I use a min of 5x5 .   This for me leads to different readings.  My image visual looks darker in the highlights to a 249 249 249 which I set in PS.  If I read it in Ap I get some values that vary from that by 10-15%   253- 247.  I think that is the difference in the sample point size.  I do see the difference in your images and have to say that Im not experiencing that.  Sorry         Cheers  dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
November 20, 2013 - 5:15am

Well, I certainly do appreciate you comparing some images. That at least may tell me I’m messing up somewhere in my settings or something else I need to check. 

Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
November 22, 2013 - 8:02am

Well, for what its worth, I opened up the same TIFF processed in Photoshop in Preview, Aperture, and iPhoto. In all of those the image is virtually identical. The same image in Photoshop still exhibits a slight color shift and brightness. It is really apparent in yellows, as you will note from the images I posted. Still strange to me and have checked every setting known.

Ken

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 22, 2013 - 3:36pm

Hi Ken

Are you exporting the image out of AP  then working on the image in those different programs and re importing the new image into AP.  Or are you round tripping through AP?  Or, editing in those external editors and just comparing how it looks opening those programs with how it looks in AP, (like your screen shots).  Curious if exporting to different color spaces is occurring .  Also I know you know this but Ill say it for other readers in the future,  Photoshop and Aperture use different color algorithms (Wide Gamut color space) to edit color within their respective program.   dbm

Ok reread the messages and the original problem.  It would be interesting to have PS show the R G B colors in the histogram  and see how that relates to the AP histogram.  PS and AP will display the image and possible the histogram itself differently because of how each uses the Wide Gamut color space to interpret the image.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
November 22, 2013 - 7:32pm

Continuing to work on a resolution to this situation, I hadn’t mentioned that when set my soft proofing to a specific paper in both Aperture and Photoshop, the images are fairly close in color and brightness. Not identical, but close. So, that is somewhat of a relief.  And, no, I actually haven’t printed out of both apps to see the results. The reason being, I have always printed out of Aperture. Its probably time to try Photoshop for comparison.

That said, I do post to web galleries, on-line photo competitions, etc, so that color working space is important for best screen viewing. Just seems that Photoshop is rendering ProPhoto RGB differently than any other app on my Mac and I haven’t found out why.

I do appreciate some of the comments, as some folks reading this thread will learn about soft-proofing vs color space,  if they didn’t before.

Ken

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 22, 2013 - 8:38pm

I believe Aperture’s working color space is Adobe RGB. If your images are ProPhoto RGB, they may look different in Photoshop than in Aperture. Aperture may be converting them to Adobe RGB, then to the monitor’s working color space while Photoshop would convert directly from ProPhoto RGB to the monitor’s working color space. The intermediate step of Adobe RGB that Aperture may be jumping through could explain the difference in appearance on the screen. I searched Google but could not find a definitive answer. This is purely my own hypothesis.

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 23, 2013 - 8:39pm

What kind of tiff files 16 or 32 bpp float ?

Internally both CS & Aperture almost certainly use some kind of linear float space to support overbrights and neg values - the difference is probably in the input transformation.

You could try:

a. Stripping the color profile and seeing if the results differ, expect the colors to change / be wrong though.

b. Stripping and then assigning a new color profile - say Adobe RGB1998 or ProPhoto.

This is a problem that may not ultimately be solvable, Adobe has their own internal CMS where as Apples is system wide - you should probably be the two to be different in subtle ways.

My Tuppence

---
Andrew Mumford

Ken Henke's picture
by Ken Henke
December 7, 2013 - 1:14am

These images are 16 bit images. I have played around with different settings with no success. Fortunately, the biggest difference seems to play out in the yellow color range. Unfortunately, I like to take sunrise and sunset images. 

I am still somewhat surprised I haven’t found some information on a work around or solution. But as Andrew alluded to, there may be not solution. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness