You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture not deleting files #1
Woody Huband's picture
by Woody Huband
April 17, 2013 - 2:12am

Aperture 3 has once again thrown me a curve. I deleted about 4000 files from a couple of big projects this morning, That is I highlighted the images I wanted gone and deleted the master and all versions, which reside on a external drive (my library is referenced).
During the delete process aperture ceased working as it often does, so I had to force quit. Now the images are gone from the projects in Aperture 3, but the files are still on my hard drive taking up space. BTW, they are not showing in my computer trash either.
What is the best way to deal with getting them back so I can try to delete them again.
Thanks for any help on this.

Adrian Miller's picture
by Adrian Miller
April 17, 2013 - 4:09am

Hi, I would locate them directly through finder and delete them there. Highlight the files and then command backspace I believe. Good luck

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 17, 2013 - 10:15am

Woody,

I assume you want them back in Aperture because it would be difficult to find the images that need to be deleted in the originals folder.

I can think of two ways to accomplish it.
1. Restore a copy of your library that still had the deleted images in it (if you backed up at the right time) so you can redo the delete.

2. Use the Relocate Images command in Aperture to move all existing images to a new location on your hard drive. Then only the deleted images will remain in the old place and you can easily delete them all. (But be careful. If you have any disconnected originals you might inadvertently leave those with the deleted images.)

Thomas

Woody Huband's picture
by Woody Huband
April 17, 2013 - 12:52pm

After getting away from this thing and shooting a ball game tonight I’m thinking this idea might work. Import all the referenced masters for that project back into my aperture project, excluding duplicates. The images that I want to keep are still in the project and are color coded. I think at this point I can just try deleting masters and all versions of the uncoded images again. If the masters are not corrupted, this should work, right?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness