You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture not authorized to delete referenced files. #1
Dan Scherber's picture
by Dan Scherber
September 2, 2011 - 10:59am

I just recently went to a an all referenced set up in Aperture. I have my aperture library on my main HDD while my masters reside on an attached firewire HDD. My first issue is deleting files. I have it checked to delete masters; but when I do this message appears:

“Cannot Move Files to System Trash

Some referenced master files cannot be moved to the System Trash, and will remain in their current locations:

• You don’t have access to the System Trash on the master files’ volume.

Other master files will be moved to the System Trash as specified.”

After I got this message I went into finder and made sure that it was set for sharing and also set it to “ignore ownership of this volume”. After doing that I made sure that the permissions were applied to the files.

Even after all of this I am still unable to delete my masters. Any ideas?

I am running osx 10.7.1 on a 2.66 27” iMac with the most up to date Aperture.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
September 2, 2011 - 3:44pm

Have you tried using disk utility to verify/repair the permissions on that drive?

Dan Scherber's picture
by Dan Scherber
September 3, 2011 - 1:18am

That did it. Thanks! Big time face palm for not trying that in the first place.

Nicolas's picture
by Nicolas
September 19, 2011 - 11:21pm

Hello MIchael,

I had a similar problem and neither repair disk (via disk util) nor any reparation via aperture (option upon launch) solved it.

I did find a solution by removing all permissions on my Master’s folder (and all of its content). Here is the terminal commands for that:

“To remove the access control on a file, you can use *chmod -N <file>* or to do it recursively on a directory *chmod -R -N <dir>*”

To make it easier, in the Finder you can “copy” the folder containing all your referenced files, then in terminal, type “chmod -R -N ” and paste, which will paste the path to that folder.

Then hit enter, and be patient (depends on the size of your folder).

Best of luck,

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 9:55am

Nicolas,

Thanks for that… interesting way to fix it. This is a common Lion problem, and it’s not just Aperture. I have the same issues with Final Cut Pro X.

thanks!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Michael James's picture
by Michael James
September 4, 2011 - 1:57pm

I tried that but no luck…said the volume was okay. Any other suggestions out there? I’m having the same problems - especially when I’m using the Nik plugins and not applying the changes.

Matt Lamb's picture
by Matt Lamb
January 13, 2012 - 7:43pm

This happened to me on an external drive.

Simple work around was to take a random small file from your desktop and drop it into the external drive, then delete it. Bingo the external drives link to the system trash is ok and aperture can now delete the aperture trash.

Matt

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 14, 2012 - 4:24am

Matt,

Interesting! Clever trick; I’ll try to remember it :)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness