You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture is losing my edits #1
M Newbold's picture
by M Newbold
November 8, 2013 - 1:58pm

I go to my pictures on Aperture and some of my edits are gone, vanished. Example: I remove a power line with retouch, I'm happy with the results, come back later, the edit I made with retouch is gone, the power line is back in the picture.

I'm running Aperture 3.4.5 on a MBP 3,1/ 2.6 core 2Duo/ 6MB RAM/
I shoot RAW with 2 different cameras file sizes of 30-40MB

If I reboot sometimes the edits sort of reappear, but quickly snap back to a pic with a power line.

HELP, Please
Suggestions most appreciated,

M

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 10, 2013 - 1:10pm

It could be a thumbnail problem. Many of the views in Aperture are actually using thumbnail images which sometimes don’t get updated properly. Have you tried the library repair command? Instructions are linked in the ApertureExpert FAQ.

Thomas

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 11, 2013 - 8:01am

Are you saying the actual Retouch adjustment brick is gone, or that you simply don’t see the results of it in the thumbnail or preview? If the adjustment brick is gone, that is a more serious problem. If the results just aren’t showing in the thumbnail or preview, you can tell Aperture to regenerate those.

M Newbold's picture
by M Newbold
November 11, 2013 - 12:07pm

I’m sorry for not being clear. My bricks are fine, my adjustments are lost. For an example I edited out some *unwanted* power lines. When I go back to view the picture for a second or third time on my monitor, or try to export, or print…. the unwanted power lines are still there. When I go to Inspector > Adjustments > retouch …. the number of strokes are shown, BUT the edit, the adjustment, the desired result does not show up on the picture. I’m viewing full frame >F< not thumbnails or a quick preview. The unwanted power lines are still there.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 11, 2013 - 9:52pm

Is the checkbox for the Retouch brick checked? If so, uncheck it and recheck it. If it is not checked, check it.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 11, 2013 - 10:11pm

If it is checked, I would take a screenshot before you make any changes. Make sure the adjustment brick is shown to illustrate that the brick is enabled but the effects are not shown. Then uncheck, take another screenshot, and recheck. If the effects are now visible, screenshot again. Then open an Aperture bug report and attach the screenshots.

Also make a zip copy of your library before and after, and tell Apple you have these before/after library copies in your bug report. They may want copies of them.

M Newbold's picture
by M Newbold
November 12, 2013 - 12:05pm

Thanks Walter!

The retouch box is checked; could be a bug. This problem is really noticeable when I have done extensive editing. With the extensive editing Aperture actually seems to get sluggish. I’ll make up some screen shots in the meantime, great suggestion.

Bill Evans's picture
by Bill Evans
April 27, 2014 - 12:59am

I work around this as below, with any luck it will work for you too - it happens to me a lot running 3.4.5 on an i7 iMac. ”Duplicate a version” of your edited photo that is not showing all the edits, and then reset it back to original.  Go back to the first version of the image that still has the edits and “lift adjustments” - then go to the duplicate and “stamp adjustments”  - this works every time for me.  I might loose the edits again on the duplicate, but I don’t seem to see that happen and don’t remember exactly if I have ever lost them again. Given that all you are actually duplicating is the edits to the RAW master, the amount of wasted memory as a result of this duplication is likely to be minimal - altho I have not actually checked to see how it impacts the size of my Aperture Library.  btw I store all my RAW files outside the library as externally referenced. 

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 27, 2014 - 1:31am

I was having similar problems with retouch edits in 3.4.5. On certain occasions I actually reapplied the retouches before realizing I’d already applied them. The retouch brick would keep the count from my previous strokes, but they wouldn’t actually appear on the version. Once I caught on to this anomaly I would restart aperture and the retouches would reappear.

Bill’s trick of duping the original and lifting your edits sounds like the quickest workaround if a restart doesn’t work.

I haven’t seen this problem since upgrading to Mavericks and AP 3.5.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness