You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Library Syncing Question #1
RJV's picture
by RJV
December 3, 2011 - 4:04am

Hi,

I'm new to Aperture and new to this site. I'm learning fast but will need some help - probably one of the training courses on this site.

My wife and I each have an iMac and we are both on the same Ethernet subnet and Wireless network. I have successfully loaded Aperture 3 on both machines. Using Dropbox, I have put our photo library on both machines.

Everything is fine until it comes to syncing the libraries. I've tried everything I can think of but my Aperture does not see the wife's Aperture and, of course, vice versa. I've done all the System Config stuff to share file and folders but I'm darned if I can get my Aperture to recognize the other library.

I know, I know - this should be straight-forward based on the recent article on this site but for some reason it is eluding me.

This is a feature that we really want to get working before we even start on our 10k Plus photos from vacations over the years.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on setting this up?

Thanks!

RJV

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 3, 2011 - 4:17am

Ralph,

Don’t do it!

Aperture isn’t designed for this workflow, and the risk of library corruption is way too high. In theory, as long as no sync starts while a Library is open, it should be OK. But that’s a big “if”. Any tinkering around in the Library while Aperture is accessing it is a recipe for disaster.

I’d recommend either you dedicate one Mac to be the “photo” Mac, or (and this is probably more realistic), store your Library on an external FW drive (or Thunderbolt if you both have Thunderbolt-equiped Macs) and “sneaker-net” the drive back and forth.

Just don’t forget to have an awesome backup routine for that very-critical drive!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

RJV's picture
by RJV
December 4, 2011 - 6:33am

Thanks Joseph! Good advice. I’m taking it.

Regards,

RJV

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?