You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Library On NAS #1
Xalo Doğan's picture
by Xalo Doğan
November 12, 2014 - 7:49pm

I have a very weird problem with my Aperture & Synology DS413j NAS

I have located my library on my NAS. I cant edit , add pictures…so everything is just fine…untill……When i delete some pictures and empty the trash in Aperture they still remain in the library. I dont see the pictures when i open Aperture. But when i right click on the library and manually open the folders they are still there. 

How can that be ?……..does anyone know what i can do  :-(

Xalo Doğan's picture
by Xalo Doğan
November 16, 2014 - 9:51pm

Anyone ??

Jason's picture
by Jason
November 17, 2014 - 2:00am

I don’t know how to quickly fix this but if misery loves company, then you can feel better because this happens to me too.

My fix was to “Relocate Originals…” on the NAS to another folder structure and then delete the original file tree that contained the images deleted in Aperture but not on the NAS. Now when I delete pictures stored on the NAS I first relocate them to my hard drive & then  empty the trash in Aperture.

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 18, 2014 - 8:21am

Using a NAS as a place to store your Library is not and has never been supported on Aperture.

There are specific KB articles on Apple support if you search for them.

The reason is that Aperture needs lower level file access to the filesystem on the NAS than it will provide thats why only directly connected Apple Formatted Volumes are recommended.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS3252 - see the last sentence, NAS = Server Share in this instance.

---
Andrew Mumford

Xalo Doğan's picture
by Xalo Doğan
November 18, 2014 - 2:42pm

Hmm…thanx man. I tried Lightroom last week. But its very weird software. Maybe i should wait for Photos when Apple release it. 

Anyone know when it will be avaible ?

Jason's picture
by Jason
November 19, 2014 - 5:37am

To clarify: my library is on my local drive and it is a mix of managed & referenced originals. Images older than ~12 months are stored on the NAS and referenced in the AP3 library.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness