You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Library is corrupted. Aperture 3 isn't starting up. #1
Hyun-guk Kim's picture
by Hyun-guk Kim
April 29, 2013 - 11:25am

Hi, all.
My Aperture 3 isn't starting up because of Library problem.

1. I tried to import my new photos from CF memory card with USB card reader.
2. while importing is running, my Mac mini looks going to sleep mode.
3. I waked up my Mac mini, but it doesn't wake up, just black screen displayed.
4. so I shut downed Mac mini and turn on again immediately.
5. and I opened my Aperture again.
6. but at this moment and ever Aperture can't read the library.
7. If I open my Aperture, it shows project icons very short time, and quitting immediately.

* I tried to restore the library with all of the troubleshooting methods in apple support page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805 but it's not working.

I wan to get my lost photos from my damaged Aperture library. PLEASE HELP ME.

<System Information>
Mac mini: Mac OS X 10.8.3, 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
Storage: 750GB SATA HDD, 3TB Promise Pegasus RAID(1TB*4) with Thunderbolt connection

<Aperture Information>
version 3.4.4, Library Size about 360GB(it has about 60,000 photos),
Library is stored in 3TB Promise Pegasus RAID

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 29, 2013 - 12:45pm

Hi Hyun-guk If you did all the 3805 maintenance options and loged off and rebooted then you are on your way to recovery. This may be a library thing but its safe to do system maintenance while your at it. Checkout Disk utilities permissions and verify HD and check out Fsck, safe boot, and then re do all things on 3805 and be sure to log off and shut down before tying AP again. Write back let us know. I cant tell you how many times Ive repaired and rebuilt the lib and it seems to be better now. Keep the faith David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 30, 2013 - 5:01am

Hyun-guk,

I want to make sure that Aperture will run on a different library before we proceed. I’m sure it will, but we should eliminate the possibility that the application itself has become corrupted.

Launch Aperture while holding down the option key, and when you see the Library chooser, create a new library and save it somewhere where you have as much free space as the size of your original library. You said that’s 360GB, so hopefully you have about 400GB free somewhere.

Assuming that Aperture launches to this just fine, I want you to import your damaged library into this new one. You can read more about this technique here.

Let’s see where that leaves us. Please notify my by twitter as you did before when you’ve tested this and responded in this forum or I will probably miss your reply.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert
• Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?
•• Have you picked up your copy of the Nik Collection for just $126? This deal won’t last forever!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Hyun-guk Kim's picture
by Hyun-guk Kim
April 30, 2013 - 6:56pm

Hi, Joseph and DBmoore

Aperture run properly on a different library. I also tried to import my damaged library into new library but it has same problem.

By the way, condition was little changed. I tried a few times 3805 maintenance options, it didn’t fix all of my problems, but it makes delaying quitting Aperture. At the moment, I deleted the last imported project, because I thing the last project importing job makes these problems. And I export my project from damaged library one by one. It’s very slow job but it makes my photo exporting from damaged library. After one project exporting, Aperture quitting. then I run Aperture again and export another project.

In this way, I reconstructed new library and import photos, exported from damaged library. This job needs patience but now it’s only way, I can get back my photos from damaged library.

Thank you for your kind replies, Joseph and DBmoore. Your replies encouraged me and give ideas to solve my problems. I’m sorry about my poor English.^^

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?