You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture killing my RAW files #1
Steven Dowden's picture
by Steven Dowden
July 27, 2010 - 3:48pm

Hey all.
I’ve been a long time Aperture user, since the days when I was an APP @ Apple for Aperture.
But one issue has been bugging me for about 18 months and I can’t find the reason.

Aperture seems to be killing my RAW files.
I mean they are black/blank files in Aperture and in finder. It happens to about 5 to 10 files out of 100 and the way I can get them to work is convert them to DMG files before it gets too bad.
I have backed up most of my work (Thank god) but some files it doesn’t matter if I make a copy it still does it.
I’ve got no idea what to do, I’ve got over 150,000 files and cannot go back and fix every file that is stuffed
What I don’t get is these files work file in both photoshop and lightroom, they cannot be previewed finder but the icon is there and viewable.

I’m using a sony a200 & a550 but its also happening with a canon 50D files.
I’m at the point where I want to almost get rid of aperture and stick to lightroom because I can’t risk losing any more files.
I’ve kept Aperture updated, I’m now using 3, but it happened on 2 as well.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m running 10.6(latest updates) and my hard drives are all healthy, it also happens on the Mac OSX hard drive as well as all my other hard drives., It happens sometimes a few minutes after I import or a few weeks after I import, I mostly see it happening when I add to the metadata but sometimes its also when I have a image with no metadata.

Please, surely there’s a fix or somebody knows whats going on.

Thanks
Steven

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 28, 2010 - 3:01am

Steven,

That is beyond bizarre. I’ve never seen this myself, and am VERY interested to hear if anyone else has.

Thanks for all the information, I’ll be sharing this with Apple.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Steven Dowden's picture
by Steven Dowden
July 28, 2010 - 3:33pm

Hi Joseph
I went into a apple store today about it and they’ve never heard of the issue before. I said that it’s aperture doing it because before the files die in finder, they’re there in Lightroom, photoshop and its only when they’re viewed in Aperture that they start to do this.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2010 - 1:21am

Thanks Steven. Have you been able to reproduce this on another computer, by chance?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness