You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Import Date Wrong #1
MorrowClan's picture
by MorrowClan
February 15, 2012 - 2:11pm

I'm importing photos and have noticed repeatedly that when I tell it to automatically split projects, it's not breaking them in the right place. It would appear that all photos before 11am are thrown onto the previous date. I have played with (and double-checked) the time zones and they appear to be in sync.

Tonight, I have discovered a new wrinkle to this. Since I'm rebuilding my database and I knew this problem was happening, I've been manually (ugh!) choosing each group and putting it in the proper place. Now, I can see that the above is still happening, but oh I can't explain it without sample info I think.

For example, I have 10 images showing up as January 1st. The first 5 are really January 1st, but the next 5 are January 2nd before 11am. I download the first 5 images to a January 1st folder and when I go back to import, the next 5 are NOW showing up as January 2nd as they should have to start with.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? I'm going SO crazy having to manually sort these in the right place. I'm on the first of 3 SD cards I need to import and it's going to be about 7 months of photos and 30gb of data. If anyone knows a solution, I'm all ears! :)

Thanks!

The Morrow Clan

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 16, 2012 - 7:22am

MorrowClan,

A few things come to mind. Please check all of these settings and ensure that they are all set correctly and let’s go from there.

1. Aperture Preferences > Import > Auto Split: One Project per day [screenshot].

2. Does your camera actually have timezone settings, or does it just have time? Timezone settings in cameras can really confuse things. If it has zones, be sure that you have your home time zone set correctly, and that the current time zone matches, and so therefore the time itself is accurate.

Expanding on that, I had a camera one (GF1) that had multiple custom “look” modes in it, and I finally figured out that these modes held onto the timezones independently. So I could have one mode set to home time, and another to my location time, without realizing it. Then after a day of shooting and swapping back and forth between modes, my photos would sort out of order in Aperture. That was annoying as can be.

3. On import, make sure that the Import Settings > Time Zone are both set to your actual time zone. I think if this is hidden then time zones should not be shifted, but let’s turn these on and make sure they are both correct to begin with.

Let’s start with that.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness