You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Freezing Upon Metadata Batch Updates #1
Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
January 3, 2012 - 3:23am

First Happy New Year to all. Second, this AM when I was attempting to do metadata batch updates to two projects in excess of 200 mixed RAW and JPG masters each, Aperture hung up to the point I had to force quit both times. After force quit, I reopened Aperture and all batch changes held OK despite the freeze. This did not happen when the projects were much smaller, say 20-50 masters mostly RAW. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

System: May 2011 iMac 12gb RAM ITB H/D; 1TB Seagate H/D as Aperture Vault; not sure which AP version 3.2.1 I think…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 3, 2012 - 7:01am

Jim,

I’ve done batch updates to collections much larger than that, so size isn’t the issue. Plus, I’ve had it crash on much smaller batches, so there ya go ;-)

I would first make sure you’re 100% up to date on both Aperture and the OS (run Software Update and check the App Store if you bought Aperture there), and then run a repair on the Aperture library. Hold down the Command and Option keys while launching Aperture, and then choose the first option, Repair Permissions, and when that’s done, quit and launch with Command-Option held again, and this time choose the second option, Repair Database [screenshot].

This is basic maintenance on the Library and it’s good to do whenever you’re experiencing problems like this.

The third option, Rebuild, should only be used in extreme cases.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness