You are here

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
September 30, 2015 - 5:13pm

Hi Folks, just checking in to get the latest and greatest on Aperture on el Capitan. What’s the status? The latest I found was in beta 3 there remained some more or less little problems but Aperture was working correctly (for most at least), some people had printing problems and the “known issues” remained active. Thank You R.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
September 30, 2015 - 5:56pm

There is a bug which has been present for a while and which is still present in the latest 10.11.1 beta.  Having several adjustments which include a noise reduction, produces a white border around the image (you’ll need to zoom to see it at 100%).  It’s not straight forward to work out what’s going on and to be honest, I reported it and left Apple to work out what’s wrong.  Something to do with incorrectly sizing alpha channels I suppose.

Anyway, it prevents me from using El-Capitan.

freediverx's picture
by freediverx
September 30, 2015 - 7:02pm

Does the issue only appear if you’ve applied noise reduction? I rarely use Aperture’s built-in NR feature.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
September 30, 2015 - 8:26pm

To be honest, they’ve been mucking around with something and the behaviour changed between beta builds.  At one point it seemed to be the sharpen adjustment that was causing problems, but I found that I could use that independently of noise and it’s ok.  With earlier builds I couldn’t.

Whatever … it’s the sort of bug that would have been fixed in a matter of days previously.

mkg's picture
by mkg
September 30, 2015 - 11:22pm

Just updated to 10.11, and Aperture second monitor is washed out and overly bright.  

Hope they fix this bug quickly because its unworkable as is…

mkg's picture
by mkg
September 30, 2015 - 6:36pm

This quote was reported at MacRomors yesterday regarding all legacy apps under El Capitan:

“Earlier today, we noted Apple had recently removed older versions of OS X and other discontinued software from the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store for users who had previously purchased or downloaded them. The apps, which included Aperture, iPhoto, OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks, have now returned to the Purchased tab. 

The disappearance of the ability to re-download older software irked users, with some calling the action “user hostile.” It’s unclear if Apple pulled the software intentionally or whether the Mac App Store experienced a temporary bug in advance of the availability of OS X El Capitan. However, the software was unavailable for several days before returning tonight. 

Only one of the apps, Aperture, will continue to be compatible with OS X El Capitan.

Hope this means that there will be a compatibility update….

DAVID's picture
by DAVID
October 7, 2015 - 10:07pm

Downloaded El capitan and immediately checked Aperture—not good! My thumbnails looked fine but when I double clicked to enlarge the images they were too bright and colors were washed-out. I contacted Apple; various maneuvers were tried, which didn’t help. Finally I was given the option of  going back to Yosemite, which I did. Fortunately I have TIME MACHINE and was able to restore my entire Library. 

Has anyone successfully moved to OS X.11and been happy with Aperture?

David

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 7, 2015 - 10:41pm

Don’t know if you do this for a living David, but this is probably not really an issue.  Doubtless a problem with on-screen proofing/profiles etc.  Apple have a long history of messing these up, so it’s frustrating, but not a big deal once you’ve worked out what’s going wrong.  I alerted Apple to serious colorsync issues in 10.11, but what’s annoying was that I alerted them to these issues back in 10.8 … and after a LOT of to’ing and fro’ing they fixed them … and then re-introduced them with later updates.  Honestly, they just don’t give a shit.  Which always reminds me of a web page that Apple put up back around 2005 or so, about ColorSync, with Schiller extolling its virtues and enlightening us about how ‘it just works’.  Well Phil … no it f*kg doesn’t.

mkg's picture
by mkg
October 7, 2015 - 10:52pm

Its been posted (and has worked for me) that you uncheck the Onscreen Proofing under the View menu.  

After that, all of my images are fine.  Aside from this issue, everything else has worked fine on 10.11 and Aperture.

If you do upgrade again, make sure to check the setting on Aperture before reverting back to 10.10.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 7, 2015 - 10:55pm

Everything has worked fine … except for the things that don’t.  Depends how deeply you use the app and what you expect of it and what features you use.  Of course, some things didn’t work fine before the 10.11 upgrade.  In fact, some things didn’t work fine before the 10.10 upgrade either.

Aperture user's picture
by Aperture user
November 4, 2015 - 9:11pm

No problems here, although I haven’t exercised Aperture a lot. But I have opened and worked with several libraries. Imported and exported, made some adjustments. Used Faces.

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
November 4, 2015 - 8:53pm

I’ve just installed El Capitan and several projects are now missing from Aperture!

DavidKeith

Aperture user's picture
by Aperture user
November 4, 2015 - 9:09pm

Replied in wrong place, see my response in posting #62

Aperture user's picture
by Aperture user
November 4, 2015 - 9:06pm

In reply to David McKellar:

In Projects are separate from the Aperture application. El Capitan installation shouldn’t make anything go missing.

They may not show up in recently opened or even show up if you Open from Aperture (I’d call this a minor, long-standing bug in Aperture; but it’s complicated if you have your project on another drive). Easiest to find “missing” projects is to look for them in the Finder and double click on the library file and they should open just fine. If you know the name of the project, search for it using Spotlight. Default location is in your Pictures folder.

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
November 5, 2015 - 9:33am

I’ve tried opening Aperture from Finder and I’ve tried searching for the projects in Spotlight all to no avail!

DavidKeith

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
November 5, 2015 - 3:17pm

Ive now spoken to Apple Support and they got me to repair the library. This has just created a recovered project and dumped all my albums in there - not helpful at all. I’m considering running Time Machine recovery but I’m a bit wary as all my files are referenced. Any advice welcome!

DavidKeith

Aperture user's picture
by Aperture user
November 5, 2015 - 3:44pm

What do mean “dumped all your albums in there.” What’s there? Dumped meaning put them in “there.” or trashed them (the albums)?

I realize I mixed up terminology myself in my original response. Projects vs. Libraries. That made my response meaningless. Projects are in Libraries. (Doesn’t help that one can’t see what they are responding to.)

If you restore from Time Machine, the original restoration should still be there. You can create duplicates of Libraries to work with. Or copy the library to another drive.

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
November 5, 2015 - 4:27pm

Repairing the Aperture Library created a “Recovered Project” and all my albums are now in this one Project. This means that I’ve lost my cataloging structure. 

Im in the process of recovering a previous version of the Aperture Library so hopefully that will work!

DavidKeith

s2art's picture
by s2art
November 7, 2015 - 2:04am

I bit the bullet yesterday and went through a hair raising experience of upgrading my 2010 model MBP, with 8 gig of RAM.

Finally after 2 attempts I managed to get El Capitan working and because it was Friday, merely opened my library a couple of times imported some imagery and all seemed fine. I hope to get my hands dirty on it over the coming weeks. To say I am pleased is putting it mildly.

seer of pictures; maker of art

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
November 7, 2015 - 9:20am

I’m glad all went well, good luck!

DavidKeith

jan wessel's picture
by jan wessel
November 9, 2015 - 11:46am

On Saturdy (7 nov 2015) I went from Yosemite to El Capitan (10.11.1)

So far no problems, i have 5 referenced libraries, the largest one contains 50.000 images.
Imported RAW files from OM-D E M1 , no problems.
Not printed as I have no Printer connected.
Colours look fine to me.
Used Plugins (From Nik Software Collection), had to reinstall the plugins, but also work now.

Jan

Annee's picture
by Annee
November 11, 2015 - 6:44am

I’ve just bought a new iMac as the previous one died. I’ve been able to install Aperture as my previously purchased download, reimport photos and link new libraries and old vaults (which reside on a removable drive) and all seems to be working fine EXCEPT if I put anything in the trash it’s invisible. Rejects show up in Rejects but even those sent to the trash are invisible. Pretty alarming if I get rid of something I can’t see but want back again. And pretty time consuming to trawl through the Mac trash where I CAN  see them! Anyone heard of this? Any ideas?

Annee

Marco Roman's picture
by Marco Roman
November 11, 2015 - 7:53am

Hi Annee.

I’m not an expert, and I’m away from my computer for a few days.

But I remember Aperture has a convoluted trash system. I remember you can set the Aperture trash to be sent to the system trash. I suggest you take a look at the settings, there might be a switch there to help…

Please let us know when and how you fix the problem. I’m likely to move to El Capitan once I get back to my computer in a few days.

cheers,

Marco

freediverx's picture
by freediverx
November 11, 2015 - 3:41pm

I’m not aware of any Aperture settings to control how deleted files are handled.

Any files deleted in Aperture are moved to Aperture’s Trash folder, which is located in the side bar under the Recents section. When you empty Aperture’s trash, its contents are moved to OS X’s Trash folder.

Note that the Recents section can be optionally hidden, obscuring the Trash folder. So if you don’t see the Trash folder, look for the Recents heading and move your cursor over it until you see the “Show” button appear, which can be clicked to unhide the section and reveal the Trash folder. 

I just deleted an image and it is plainly visible in Aperture’s trash folder, so I couldn’t reproduce the issue on my end.

jan wessel's picture
by jan wessel
November 11, 2015 - 7:42am

Sorry you’re Mac died, but congrats you were able to install Aperture again.
The problem you describe is probably not related to El Capitan, because it has been around in other versions of OSX as well as Aperture.
https://photoapps.expert/forum/cant-see-photos-trash/9021#.VkLgBoTQXxc
or 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5872519

I do have the same problem as you, but it already existed before I upgraded to El Capitan.
Just hasn’t tried to fix it.

Good luck,

Jan Wessel

Annee's picture
by Annee
November 11, 2015 - 11:18pm

Thank you Jan - the tip in your links worked and I can now see anything I send to the Aperture trash. I followed this advice:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5872519

Anyone else following the information in the above links, just make sure when you get the message about repairing/rebuilding, you choose the bottom option which is “rebuild the database”. (I initially chose the middle option which of course didn’t work). So relieved!

Many thanks,

Anne

jan wessel's picture
by jan wessel
November 12, 2015 - 9:01am

Hi Anne,

Glad it worked.
I did the same thing. First Repair, and then the Rebuild option.
I can also see them now again in Aperture Trash.

Jan

Hans Hoogerhuis's picture
by Hans Hoogerhuis
November 14, 2015 - 3:45pm

Hi All,

After RAW upgrade and El Capitan all EOS files have purple fringes in the highlights. If I do an update of already processed files the same affect appears. Undo fixes the older files. 

The same effect is present in Aperture and Photos …

Grtz. H.

studio460's picture
by studio460
December 5, 2015 - 4:53am

Everything seems okay …

I just installed El Capitan 10.11.1 onto a new internal 1TB SSD, on my late-2011, quad-core, Core i7, 17”, 16GB MacBook Pro. I am running a copied-over version of Aperture 3.6 on the internal SSD (long story), with the current library still running from the old 750GB HDD I just pulled, which is now in an external, Firewire 800 drive enclosure. Everything is running very fast, even over just Firewire 800. No issues that I’ve noticed yet.

studio460's picture
by studio460
December 8, 2015 - 10:11pm

I’ve been running Aperture 3.6 in El Capitan 10.11.1 for several days now, and everything’s been fine. I just re-registered/installed my Portraiture, NIK, and DxO plug-ins, and everything works as before. I just printed to an HP200 color laser and printing also works fine. Looks like we’re good at least through El Capitan!

studio460's picture
by studio460
December 10, 2015 - 1:02am

I’ve just had Aperture “not responding” several times, requiring a force-quit when importing some Nikon D800E TIFFs (exported as 16-bit files from Capture One Pro 9). It did it three times in a row, then after re-launching Aperture again, I just imported another TIFF (the same size) and it was fine.

However, this may have been due to normal system overhead issues since this is the first time I encountered the problem. While I have a 16GB Core i7 system, I had several heavy-duty apps open concurrently. Will try to re-create the problem with less apps open and report back. Other than that, everything seems okay (fingers crossed!).

Marco Roman's picture
by Marco Roman
December 9, 2015 - 1:22pm

I have installed El Capitan a few weeks ago.

First thing I did was to check Aperture, and all my projects and folders are there, everything looking normal.

I created a new project, again all normal.

I haven’t used it much yet, but I have no issues.

Nizar Jiwan's picture
by Nizar Jiwan
December 14, 2015 - 1:43am

I am totally lost.  I have 3 Tb of photos on my Mac organized using Aperture 3.x and organized in numerous Libraries. Now Aperture is discontinued. i tried to use iPhoto but it is exyremely slow snd too limited. I tried PICASSA 3.0 fast but too limiting and  inflexible. Tried Photoshop - too slow as an organizer and very cimbersome and user unfriendly as an editor and complicated.  So far, nothing as good as Aperture which was fast and easier to learn on my own.   I want to convert to Lightroom but don’t know how.  I don’t trust Aperture and Apple after such a let down.  i can’t loose my photos which are  sitting in my time machine using Aperture. Where to turn for help? Which software  to to turn to that is not as complicated and slow as Photoshop for organizing, editing and printing. My tech skills  are limited and erratic but motivation to learn high so i can  get to a new organized platform that converts my photos from Aperture and organizes them so I can get on with tsking pictures of my gradchildren. at the moment, out of insecurity of a 70 year old grandfather who believes that he is about to loose all his grandchildren’s memories, I am randomly unloading my photos  from the Photos folder to Dropbox, iCloud, several hard drives, hundteds of DVDs and CDs. And considering amazon, Adobe and microsoft cloud services.  but, Have no idea of how to systemstically convert, upload, down load ans share  photos and organize etc.  At this stage,. I JUST WANT KNOWLEDGE, ORGANIZATION, CONTROL AND USER FRIENDLINESS AND SPEED Thst APERTURE ptovided at one point before the betrayal.  I cant temain on APERTURE ITSELF BECAUSE As gar as I am concerned, it is dead amd unreliable for future.  Also , APPLE HAS DONE NOTHING TO HELP CLARIFY ETC  - they have been negligent.  

My question is should I turn to Loghtroom and. PC  and give up on the rigidity of Mac and all ots Flybynight app suppliers. This means loosing my investment in iPad and iPhone 6s all togather and hundreds of Apps.  

For now, i just need to ensure my Photos remain intact and retrievable by a dependible brand name. I need a pathway to the future.  Is there any (paid) help out there?  Pls contact me eith a proposal nizarjiwan@mac.com 

thank you,

Nizar

nhj

s2art's picture
by s2art
December 14, 2015 - 7:56am

Hi Nizam.

I am using Aperture and EL Captian on a 2010 macbook pro with 8 gig of ram, with NO hiccups what ever, everything is working fine for my work flow. So just keep using Aperture and see what pans out

seer of pictures; maker of art

David McKellar's picture
by David McKellar
December 14, 2015 - 10:19am

Like you, I lost faith in Aperture a couple of months ago as things were starting to go wrong and I was worried about loosing my precious images. So, I decided to reference all my files thereby removing them from the Aperture Library. This felt safer because if Aperture crashed, I would still have all my images on my external HD viewable in Finder. I’ve since decided to go with Adobe Lightroom as this seems to be the industry standard and I’m now in the process of importing my images into Lightroom. Hope this helps!

DavidKeith

Annee's picture
by Annee
December 14, 2015 - 11:00am

Hi Nizar,

Take  a deep breath and don’t panic. Aperture has not been “deleted” from use, it just won’t be developed further or ultimately work on future operating systems. If all your images are in Aperture Libraries I would suggest sending your edited ones to appropriate folders as Versions of the original file size where ultimately they could be imported into Lightroom or whatever you choose to buy at a later date. Your originals will remain just that if you have them as Referenced files on your computer or removable/backup drive. You could always crop them in the next program if you want to, rather than in Aperture (to save time). Make sure you go through all the Export image options where you can choose different file formats, pixel dimensions and naming or numbering options. Just start now and be methodical and make it a culling process too.  I have been doing the same for a year and found I really don’t need the blurry, multiples, or sub-standard photos of my grandchildren, artwork, or birds. You can use the iCloud or Flickr for storage too, (plus others). It sounds daunting but I have found it rather liberating overall! Your photography has probably improved over the years and you’ll be surprised at what you can reject now. I hope this helps - us golden oldies have to stick together!

Cheers, Annee

Pages

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?