You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture as default program to open email pictures #1
A Raabe's picture
by A Raabe
March 5, 2012 - 12:55pm

I would like to have Mail ( Mac's proprietary mail) use Aperture when someone sends a photo to me by email. When I right click 'open with…' my choices are safari/preview, and then way down the list I can pick 'Other…' and finally navigate to ultimately get Aperture. But not Aperture directly or easily. Second, if, instead of the Open with road, I choose to click on the 'Save' button at the top right of the email ( next to Quick Look), the only offering is iPhoto. I understand that I can save to my Downloads folder and then launch Aperture and ultimately get the photo where I want it. I just wanted an easier way and was wondering how.
Any suggestions??
Thank you

AJ

A Raabe

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 5, 2012 - 1:04pm

I don’t know if you can change those menu options to Aperture. I doubt it. You could drag the images from the email and drop them into an open project in Aperture.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 6, 2012 - 2:44am

A Raabe,

I poked around a bit and the best solution I could come up with was to Get Info on a JPG in the Finder, change the “Open with” to Aperture, then click the “Change All” button. Then from Mail (or anywhere, at this point), if you double-click the photo (or choose “Open Attachment”) it will launch Aperture and import.

This is unlikely to be ideal since you probably open more photos in the Finder or elsewhere in Preview than you do import them to Aperture, but it does work.

Personally though what I would recommend is simple drag-and-drop, as Thomas suggested. You can just drag to the Aperture icon in the dock though, and even if it’s not running, it will launch and import. It will import into a new Untitled project so you’ll likely want to move that, or as Thomas suggested, drag it from Mail into an existing Project in Aperture to put it where it goes all at once.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

A Raabe's picture
by A Raabe
March 8, 2012 - 5:10am

Thank you. Two questions: 1) I do not see the ‘Change All’ . Could it be ’ Always Open with’ ? I found that choice at the bottom of the ‘Choose Application’ Window.
2). I tried an experiment and closed everything and reopened Finder; chose another JPEG and right clicked Open with… Aperture had disappeared as a choice. I had to drill down via Open With/Choose Application/then I clicked on Aperture. So, am I correct in assuming that Apple just prefers you use iPhoto or some other software, but NOT allow me to have Aperture as a default choice. ( Funny, since I paid big money to purchase Aperture).

A Raabe

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 8, 2012 - 6:29am

A Raabe,

Ah, you’re not on Lion yet, right? Yes, “Always Open With” is the right choice.

I don’t follow; what did you change in step 2 above before you closed everything, and Aperture no longer showed up in the list?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness