You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Constantly Crashing and so much more. #1
Paul T's picture
by Paul T
October 4, 2012 - 3:30am

My Early 11 MBP 17”, i7, 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM is just totally crapping out. I'm having to force quit just like stump, a minimum of 4 times a day now and that's just with Aperture. I'm getting library inconsistencies at least twice a day and having to wait for my library to rebuild/repair itself with 45,000 masters, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

My HD blew and was replaced in March, diagnostically every time I hit the genius bar it comes up green across the board BUT IT IS time for it to be dropped into a smelt. It's never been dropped and has no water/damage whatsoever. I paid $4,200 AUD for this hell, my last two MacBook and MacBook Pro's were STELLAR, never skipped a beat!!

I needed this for speed and mobility hence the 17” instead of an iMac. Do you guys know ANYTHING about this model and what I can do to get a new one. it's only 14 months old and looks great. I don't expect a retina display but I want this computer replaced, not fixed AGAIN. It's also intermittent grrrrr and I worked referenced and I now have 8TB of backed upped junk from damaged back up's and general freaky behaviour and thousands of lost masters that I know I will never find again.

I don't even bother to open FCP X at all anymore or Motion, the eternal rendering was just plain stupid and would take 30 mins to load a 2 minute time lapse. LR4 is no good but if I'm quick, I can get something done in PS CS6 Extended. Adobe Premiere Pro and most Creative Cloud apps all keep crashing on me every single time I use them. I can occasionally use NIK or Topaz Labs and get away with it but they too keep manifesting the wheel of death, 80% of the time on launch. Safari and mail have now started to crash on occasion and my keyboard is playing up also. I would greatly appreciate ANY HELP before I approach them and why is the App store continually asking me to reinstall Aperture every single day, along with FCP X, Motion, Pixelmator. etc…. Aperture is always there but the others vary but are always up to date.

Just how many lemon's were made during the Early 2011 run on MBP's? I'm not the only one and I have a few friends in the same boat. I just managed to get my website/business up and running 2 weeks ago and I can't be without a computer. I know some of you might be able to help me.

Also ALL my software is 100% up to date, everything. I can't even read this back, did it cut and paste something random?

Many thanks if you can,

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2012 - 8:45am

Paul,

All you can do is keep returning to the Apple store every time you have these issues. I believe that after a while (if you’re a nice person and not an asshat every time you walk into the store), Apple retail managers have the authority to replace your hardware. But it’s a choice, not a requirement, so be nice and make sure they realize that this is your nnth time in there, and after maybe three visits start asking nicely if it’s possible to get a whole new Mac.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
October 11, 2012 - 4:54pm

Thanks Joseph,

I’m always so nice and they are extremely helpful and polite back, I’ve a used a different tactic this time. I rang support after my computer crashed with the weirdest kernel panic I’ve ever see. I got put straight through to a senior tech who was stumped. He’s getting the asia pacific team to check it out and I politely asked for a new mac as this is crazy. He said I can see from all your visits, HD replacement, hard wipes, etc….

I told him politely I will not accept another hard wipe as 3 is already too many. He’s been fantastic and I’m awaiting a reply. A new machine does not look out of the question hopefully. at the moment. Every genius bar tech I’ve dealt with in store has been great but said hard wipe will fix this. It doesn’t, and my back ups are always corrupted anyway. They always tell me to never reinstall a back up which I find very strange. Applecare phone support have always been excellent too. I do think they flag difficult customers and I always get welcomed warmly which I think is a good omen.

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2012 - 2:59am

Paul,

That’s great news. Apple does have a reputation for great support, so I’m glad to hear you’re finding that yourself.

Keep us posted — hopefully you’ll have a new Mac in your not-too-distant future!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness