You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture and Olympus Lens Correction? #1
Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
January 7, 2014 - 5:19pm

Apparently Olympus micro four thirds lenses are sensed by the OM-D cameras which then inject lens correction data into the .orf raw format image files. Adobe products (ACR) can read and use that data for lens corrections.

Does anyone know if Aperture is doing the same thing?

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 8, 2014 - 10:00pm

Aperture does not. I question whether Adobe does that in the manner you describe. I’m betting Adobe reads the lens used from the EXIF data and applies their own lens profile corrections using their own lens profile database. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Adobe has provided lens correction for at least two years now.

John Kubler's picture
by John Kubler
March 18, 2014 - 4:13pm

As far as I know, Aperture 3 does apply distortion correction. I know because my Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and Olympus 9-19 mm files look really distorted (barrel) when I import them into Capture One, but are corrected in Aperture 3 and LR4 or 5.

jmkubler

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 18, 2014 - 10:03pm

I found an Apple reference regarding Sony cameras and lens correction. This indeed reflects that Digital Camera RAW can do lens correction when the raw file provides the necessary data to do so. This is a Digital Camera RAW feature, not an Aperture feature. That explains is why you do not see a control for this in Aperture.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5358

Given they do provide other controls like noise and boost and moire control, it would be nice to also provide lens distortion control as well.

It would be nice for Apple to document which camera makers they support for this feature. My Nikon D800 can provide a lens correction setting. I wonder if Aperture can decode and use that? I will have to test it.

Russell's picture
by Russell
March 19, 2014 - 10:25am

On a related note (that is possibly redundant in this forum but anyway…), raw files that have been “corrected” for lens distortion in-camera often cause problems for Aperture if they are converted to the DNG format.

I have found this out the hard way with my old Lumix LX5 and GH2 files after I had a misguided “Yay! DNG is the way to go” phase a few years ago.

Russell

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?