You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.5 / Maverick's Crashing. Anyone else? #1
Rick Stuve's picture
by Rick Stuve
October 29, 2013 - 2:00am

No pattern other than my computer freezes, sometimes with video tearing, sometimes just freezing or rebooting since updating Maverick's and Aperture to 3.5. I can't find a pattern and it does not happen using any other program.

I have loaded multiple libraries after repairing and rebuilding the first one thinking that was it, but it continues to happen in other libraries.

Im open to ideas and am very curious if anyone is having issues.

2009 Early iMac 24” Intel core duo

Thanks
Rick

Semper Fi

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 29, 2013 - 2:29am

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘video tearing’, but graphics issues have been amongst the biggest in 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 beta testing and any app which uses the graphics card intensively, shows the problems most. Aperture is one of those apps.

Apple have been doing a great deal of work on graphics drivers which inevitably leads to bugs. I have had many problems with graphics drivers during beta testing, but I have to say, for me, the release version of Mavericks has been pretty good in this respect. However, if you are experiencing video/graphics problems with Aperture, please submit a bug report via Aperture(menu item)/Provide Aperture Feedback/and enter it as a bug report. Apple do read these and indeed in some senses rely on them. You most likely will never hear from Apple, but know that they will be looking into your submission.

Rick Stuve's picture
by Rick Stuve
October 29, 2013 - 2:43am

Thank you Gfsymon i will submit feedback. I have been sending the crash reports.

Video tearing meaning the screen seems to tear, or fill with video artifacts. Kinda like the screen gets confused and disc plays haphazardly across the monitor. Hope that helps.

I have experienced some video issues over the last three years now and again and understand the graphics drivers have issues. But never has it been focused on only one program. :(

I have not read anyone else having issues yet.

rick

Semper Fi

Rick Stuve's picture
by Rick Stuve
October 29, 2013 - 10:27am

I continue to scratch my head on this one.
I have identified that it has only crashed when I click on a project and I am looking at or working on individual photos. At least not yet when I look at all projects or I am looking at the view with many many photos in it. Just when I double click a photo and either browse through that way to say work on them or rate them etc…

I tried the following.
repaired permissions
repaired library
rebuilt library.

trashed plist
deleted aperture and reinstalled

To make sure it is not a library issue I am opening all the libraries with the latest version of iPhoto and so far no crashes in iPhoto. Just started doing this though.

I’m open to any other ideas.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Rick

Semper Fi

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 29, 2013 - 3:59pm

Rick,

I suspect that this is a driver issue, but you can eliminate Aperture itself from the equation, by simply making a new library and importing some images into it.

If the problem disappears, then that suggests it’s a library problem. You could then set some time aside and import your old library into the new one. This will mean that Aperture will build a totally new structure and any corruption that there may have been will be eliminated.

It could be a problem with corrupt preview images and restoring from a managed Vault would eliminate this (because they don’t store previews, so they’re re-built) but I would lean more towards the quick and easy check of making a new library and import/merge the old one into it. (You will loose none of your work).

It is also possible that there are some corrupted raws that may be causing the problem, but you would know that pretty quickly.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?