You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.4.3 slowness #1
jjoakland2@mac.com's picture
by jjoakland2@mac.com
November 23, 2012 - 3:12am

Hi,

Really pulling my hair out at the moment as even doing the simplest thing in Aperture is taking anywhere between 15 and 30 secs to do which is bearable (just!) for single images however when I'm trying to edit or even look at several hundred it's simply unmanageable.

I've 8GB on a 2.8 Ghz Intel core i5 iMac running 10.7.5 and whilst I can't pinpoint exactly when the problems started I think it was when I updated to Aperture 3.4.3.

I've gone through all the topics here and repaired/rebuilt the library numerous times. I've redownloaded Aperture and reinstalled. And nothing seems to improve. I have a few minutes of hope after each thing I try and then it reverts back to the spinning wheel status :(

I've just short of 18,000 images in the managed library and projects are generally less than 100 images, with some around 500 and the odd few larger.

Is my library too large? Should I go referenced? Just not sure what to try next?!

If anyone's able to help it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jenny

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
November 23, 2012 - 4:09am

You might double your RAM to 16GB
Aperture continues to be a very demanding.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

by jjoakland2@mac.com
November 23, 2012 - 4:19am

Thanks John, though I’ve been running 8gb for nearly 2 years and it’s been fine to date?? Didn’t know if it was something to do with the update as the problems (I think) coincided with then.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 25, 2012 - 12:27am

Hi Jenny

You mentioned that your Lib is managed and wondered if it should be referenced. One reason to go reference is to free up space on the Hard drive which can cause the machine to slow if too full. If you have half of your drive empty you are probably ok but need to think of converting. One quarter empty is a big sign to move some if not all to referenced. I did that and freed enough space on the internal hard drive to have a separate Volume for the Library part. This separate vol can be idefrag easily before copying the lib into it. I like keeping the referenced lib on a sep vol with a size of under half the new vol. Hope that makes since. Of course the first thing to do when aperture slows down, and you might have already, is to repair you hard drive permissions with disk utility then repair with apertures repair option and then rebuild the lib. good luck Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

by jjoakland2@mac.com
November 27, 2012 - 5:24am

I’ve just under half my hard drive empty. Hadn’t repaired hard drive permissions but that seems to have helped. Still doesn’t feel quite as speedy as it did but loads better. Thank you!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness