You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.3 - Very slow #1
Jeroen's picture
by Jeroen
June 22, 2012 - 4:25pm

I have updated to Aperture 3.3 this week, and although I am quite happy with the new functionality (and the way it has been highlighted on this site, thanks Joseph), but I am experiencing quite some unacceptable lack of speed, especially when adapting photos. Anyone else experiencing this? Any clues on how to solve this?

My library is small (roughly 20000 images), working on a 2008 iMac 24”. As far as I know nothing else changed whilst having updated Aperture.

Kasper Jacobsen's picture
by Kasper Jacobsen
June 22, 2012 - 9:43pm

Hi, I don’t want to hijack your thread, I thought this could add to some of the issues.
If it is not normal to add to a question in here, could someone please let me know so I can do my own question, as I couldn’t find anything in the guidelines.

I am experiencing the same problems - Aperture is really sluggish when working in full screen. Last night when I was editing an image there was some really big problems - I couldn’t recreate them today so it might just be a one off, although I’ve seen them before on my girlfriends MacBook Air where they happened all the time in 3.2 - What happens is that the image either reverts to the original before editing or all the black boxes appear all over the image.

These are my specs:
15” MacBook Pro from start 2008 with 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4gb ram and the GeForce 8600M GT 256 mb ram

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 22, 2012 - 11:46pm

Well both of you are on 2008 machines, Im on a mid 2009 MBP with 8gb Ram and a video card with 512ram on it. Sorry to say but bigger is better and Im hoping to get another year out of mine before I pass it on to a relative. That being said, I think (and Im not always right) That general maintenance becomes more important to older machines. Read the FAQ Joseph has about Maintenance and esp HT3805 and fsck. Also your HD needs to have room to move files about so if you are down to 25% free space then its time to make a change. Library need 2-3 times its size for room to play with. If you are getting full consider moving your Managed images to an external HD for a reference system

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2012 - 1:40am

Gents,

There are a variety of repair routines you can run both to your Aperture library and to the Mac in general. There were several upgrades in the last few weeks, in both OS and Aperture so it’s worth doing some housekeeping.

Check the ApertureExpert FAQ for tons of things you can do. Nearly every user is reporting speed increases, not decreases, since the upgrade, so it’s most likely something localized to your system.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jeroen's picture
by Jeroen
June 23, 2012 - 7:29am

OK, I’ve checked the FAQ, rebuilt my library, did all the maintenance, cleaned out the caches, and so on. However, although it seems faster now, the major speed bump is (still) in loading an image, but only when it is loading the real image (this shows the loading gear for about three seconds, RAW, 14Mp); when using the preview mode, the speed is really perfect. It is my impression all was faster in the 3.2 version. Would rebuilding the database be of any help?

Gert Sterner's picture
by Gert Sterner
July 20, 2012 - 10:09pm

Well. I have the same problem.

My Mac is an old MacPro1,1. That is a 2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon chips. 16 GB 667MHz DDR2 ram and a graphics card from the all new Mac Pro, a Radeon HD 5770. I have my Aperture Library on an external harddisk, a CalDigit HDPro2, wich run about 800 MB/sek. connected via a card with 6 x eSATA = 18 Gbit / sek. => more than Thunderbolt 10 Gbit / sek.

My Aperture Library is holding about 140.000 pictures, mostly RAW files.

I was running OSX 10.6.8 with Aperture 3.2 and it all worked nice and really really fast. I could browser through my 12 Mpx RAW files like a film - wush! (And I was not using the fast preview)

Then Apple closed Mobile Me and I moved to OSX 10.7.4 to get iCloud and the sync back for my iCal and Address Book. And I moved from Aperture 3.2 to 3.3 (and later 3.3.1).

And now my speed is gone. And stability too. If I do anything with a slider, I first have to klick on the slider, then wait 5 sek. Then I can move it and then again wait 2 sek. for it to show on the screen.

When I select more than one picture to make an album, I have to wait 5-10 sek. before I can make the album.

If I don’t wait, often Aperture “Stops responding” and I have to Force Quit it.

Often I use the keyboard to move to next picture or to do other stuff. But now I often sit and wait, because it is like the keystroke is not recieced by Aperture.

I think I am down to 30% speed of what I had before and I thing it is 5000% more unstable.

I have tried this to test speed:
============================
-Turning “Faces” on and off. I have never used Faces but to test I turned it on. It was slower, so I turned it off again.

-Choosing between “Camera Previews” or “Standard Preview”, but there is no different in speed.

-Letting “sharing previews for iLife and iWork” be in “Always” or “When Aperture Quit” mode, but again, no different in speed.

-Rebuilding rights in my Aperture Libray, no different in speed.

-Repairing my Aperture Library, no different in speed.

-Rebulding my Aperture Library, no different in speed.

-Changed my boot drive from 4 x 2TB WD “black” HD in software raid 0 (makes one fast 8 TB disk) to 1 x OZC Vertex 4, 256 GB SSD, so OSX and the CPU’s had to do less IO’s on the boot disk and getting a lot higher number of IO’s pr. sekund available. But it did’nt change a thing. Well, I get less noise from the Mac Pro now there is no HD in it ;-)

I have tested OSX 10.8 beta 2-4 on an iMac, and it looks like it works, but Apple has ruled out my Mac Pro from going to ever get OSX 10.8 :-(

If anybody has an idea what to test next, i will listen :-)

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 20, 2012 - 11:08pm

You seem to have a good grasp on technology, so Ill be brief. Did you delete the AP cache and permissions?, Run disk utilities and Fsck?, Reinstall AP? SMC? PRAM?

After that Id drink more wine…. It slows me down thus making the computer faster.

Honestly I hope someone chimes with an answer. Do you think that your advanced system is not meshing with the new AP…email… aperturefeedback@group.apple.com

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness