You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.2.2 uploading pictures to Facebook in incorrect order #1
Gordon Shephard's picture
by Gordon Shephard
January 29, 2012 - 3:45pm

I have a colleague who is using iPhoto to manage his pictures, and he has problems uploading to Facebook - the photos show up in the wrong order.

Tonight, I tried to do the same thing with Aperture 3.2.2.

Here was the test:
o Take a project of 27 pictures - put captions into the “Version Name” (Apparently Facebook maps the “Version Name” to the “Caption” on its side.

o Shift+Click on 10 pictures from that Project. Click on Facebook Icon on Aperture Toolbar. Create a new Album (use the Project name as Default). Allow Friends to see pictures. Click on Publish.

That part of the test worked out well - pictures showed up in the correct order, with captions correct.

o Shift+Click on the next 10 pictures from that Project. Click on Facebook Icon on Aperture Toolbar. Select the Album that you created in the previous step. Click on Publish.

The _second_ set of pictures is displayed in incorrect order - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the randomness. Has anyone else had problems uploading sets of pictures to Facebook in the correct order? I'm not sure if this is an Apple Issue or Facebook issue - not a lot of strong evidence either way when googling “Facebook Upload Incorrect Order Photos”

Interested in hearing about other peoples thoughts and/or experience.

Yoshi Tanaka's picture
by Yoshi Tanaka
April 10, 2012 - 5:46am

Thanks Thomas. It’s a little disappointing though.

Ron Fox's picture
by Ron Fox
January 29, 2012 - 4:39pm

I have the identical problem, 100% of the time. For non-consecutive photos, I use command-click. Then click on the Facebook icon, the computer goes directly to publish and the photos appear in Facebook, but not in the order selected.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 30, 2012 - 3:30am

Folks,

I don’t publish to Facebook very often from Aperture but I do to flickr. With Flickr, if I go to the web album in Aperture and rearrange the photos — manually or by selecting something like “by date” — and then refresh (click the little broadcast icon next to the gallery name), that change is reflected in flickr.

Does it work that way for Facebook?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 30, 2012 - 3:30am

Oh also… what happens if you log into Facebook and rearrange them there? Does that get reflected back to Aperture, or does it eventually reset itself to a random order once Aperture has refreshed on its end?

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 30, 2012 - 4:10am

I did a test with one Facebook album of 4 photos. When I first looked at it today, the order didn’t match between Aperture and Facebook.

1. I rearranged the order in Aperture and therefore Aperture’s sort is set to Manual. Then I clicked the sync icon next to the Facebook Album name in Aperture and the order in Aperture reverted back to what I had when I opened it. Facebook’s order didn’t change.

2. I rearranged the order in Facebook and hit the sync icon in Aperture. No change in Aperture. Facebook kept my new order. (i.e. no match)

3. I changed Aperture’s sort menu to by Version Name (ascending) and at the same time rearranged Facebook to the same order. Then I clicked the Aperture sync icon. Aperture switched back to Manual sort with the original order from when I first opened it. Facebook stayed in alphabetical order.

From what I can tell, the link between Facebook and Aperture doesn’t match the sort order. In fact Aperture seems to have its own weird manual sort order when you click the sync icon that has nothing to do with the current order in Facebook. It’s not making any sense to me at the moment.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 3:11am

Thomas,

Hmm. Sounds more like a bug in the API from Facebook, or possibly just a feature that doesn’t exist. I’ll share this thread with Apple in the event it’s an actual fixable bug.

I’d say for now then the solution is to share from Aperture, but reorder in Facebook.

@PhotoJoseph

Gordon Shephard's picture
by Gordon Shephard
February 9, 2012 - 1:06pm

The good news is that sorting in Facebook is very quick and easy. It’s what my friend has been doing for the last six months on Facebook (He has about 1000 pictures shared from iPhoto - a wonderfully captioned series based on some home improvement projects he’s doing).

If he could find a tool that would let him organize, and export to Facebook _in the same order_ - he would do so in a heartbeat.

Yoshi Tanaka's picture
by Yoshi Tanaka
April 5, 2012 - 6:38am

I want to choose which three photos get highlighted on my facebook wall when I post from Aperture. This ordering issue does not allow me to do that when I’m adding additional photos to an album. Are there any workarounds for this issue?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 5, 2012 - 11:25am

Yoshi,

The workaround is to do it in the Facebook interface on the web.

Thomas

Paul Lopez's picture
by Paul Lopez
January 10, 2013 - 12:06am

Hi
I just got about 130 photos to resort correctly. Like others, the photos were totally out of order when first dragged into the Facebook area. I tried many times to get the order correctly using drag and drop but it never worked.

Executive summary: Get it to look right in Aperture and then right-click that one album and choose “sync”. Allow that one album to sync.

As a last resort, here is what I did.
1. Prior to dragging anything into the Facebook ‘project’, I used batch change to update the version names for the chosen photos, to include a counter before the rest of the actual name. For example the first three photos would have version name like:
000 At the airport
001 Checking into hotel
002 Our hotel room

2. I dragged one photo into the Facebook ‘project’ to initiate the creation of a facebook album (empty album can not be created).

2B. I then logged into Facebook and set the privacy of this new album to “ONLY ME”. I did this so I can correct the order of my 130 photos before making the album visible to anyone else.

3. Now I drag all 130 photos from my smart album into the Facebook ‘project’, of course choosing as the target the new album I just created. It took about 30 minutes for the photos to sync with Facebook. All photos had TERRIBLE order, but before doing anything I allowed this long sync to finish. Meanwhile, no one else besides me can see the album in Facebook.

4. Now I click Facebook ‘project’ in Aperture and double-click that album to view the photos; the order is still wrong. Now… I reorder the photos by Version Name using the drop-down box which I normally use to sort photos. As you remember they are all prefaced with 000, 001, etc. At this point, Aperture is showing them in the correct order.

5. Now, I back out one level so I can see all my facebook albums, and I RIGHT CLICK THIS NEW ALBUM in the list of albums and choose SYNCHRONISE. (Note that I do not use the sync option in the left pane; instead I right click the actual album to sync.) This will kick-off a new sync process for this one album. It took about 5 minutes but afterwards the photos on Facebook were all correctly ordered by Version Name (000 though 130).

6. Finally, once I’m happy with this order I set the privacy in facebook to whomever I want and they can see it now.

Am I happy with this work-around? Hell no! But it seems to work and this will allow me to add/delete/insert photos from Aperture in the future so I will use it for now.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?