You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3 lost 1 project of Managed images... #1
Josh Morey's picture
by Josh Morey
January 12, 2012 - 10:07am

I will take any help I can get on this. It is driving me crazy.

Background:
I recently reformatted my imac and took all of the pieces out of the time machine manually. There was some kind of problem deep in there and it kept on coming back so i wiped it all. This included taking the latest aperture library and putting it in.

Problem:
I started up Ap last night to retrieve a photo I needed to print and that specific project (what are the odds…) is there but all of them are showing the upward arrow with the yellow caution sign. It is ONLY this project. All others are fine. All of my images are managed.

- Tried repair permissions
- tried repair database
- tried rebuild
- i updated aperture
- i updated the library that was needed because of the upgrade of aperture
- i brought older libraries out of the time machine to use, same problem
- viewed most of TM backups from now until I created the photos in october, viewed the package contents, and looked through the master folder. None to be found. Not even the day after i took them.

What gives? Where did they go? I know they were there. I luckily exported out 5 of them as full res jpegs about 15 days after I took them. I luckily did not delete these and was able to get them out of the TM. So it is not a total loss. But the rest are gone forever. I am just so confused.

They are photos of us announcing my wife was pregnant. So not only do they have sentimental value, but man, they came out so freaking good.

Any thoughts. Anything else I can do. Any thoughts on why they would be missing from the library package contents even right after i took them. I am going crazy.

Thanks…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 13, 2012 - 5:20am

Josh,

Very sorry to hear this. What a mess.

You’ve done nearly everything I would suggest, but there’s one more thing to try.

A few people on this site, and recently I myself, have found a mysterious project called “Recovered” in their Aperture library. It seems to appear after a repair/rebuild, or in my case, after a merge.

Merging libraries seems to cause some kind of reset or rewrite to the database that can fix all kinds of mysterious problems. So that’s what I’d like you to try next.

You’ll need a lot of free space, especially for a managed library — typically 2x whatever size your library is — for this to work. But create a brand new Library, and then import the existing Library into it. I don’t think your Project with missing images will be fixed (since you’ve already looked in the package and came up empty), but my hope is that the photos will appear in a “recovered” project.

Other than that I’m at a loss. But let’s start there.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Josh Morey's picture
by Josh Morey
January 13, 2012 - 12:42pm

I will try that when I get back on Sunday, leaving early in the morning for the baby shower weekend at home.

Free space won’t be a problem so i will try this for sure. I know when i did a rebuild I had a recovered file but these photos were not in it.

I am just so confused by this and until this point I have told everyone how fantastic Aperture is. I use it for work too since I am in the in house photographer for my small design studio. Maybe if it was referenced or something else I could understand it missing. But being managed, and just one folder, it makes no sense. Especially looking at the package in TM right after I created them, and finding nothing is far from reassuring. Even more especially since I know they existed later when i exported. At least I have a few jpegs. Better then nothing. Just trimmed an 8x10 of one of them for the shower.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 14, 2012 - 3:47am

OK Josh, keep me posted. Have a great weekend.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Peter Guttinger's picture
by Peter Guttinger
November 26, 2012 - 5:59am

Joseph

just this evening i detected a project with many 3 and 4 stars images having lost about 70% of all images. All referenced on an external FW800 WD Drive. I was close to having tears in my eyes.
This is not the first time i reported this problem here. Tell me, is Apple looking into this forum? Should i open an incident at Apple site?
I dont know if i shouild replace the WD HD: Sometimes it powers off without notice or i get a mesage, telling me, that powering ot off is not possible “right now”. “Someone” must have requested a shotdown or WD itself wants to shut down.

I recommend to lead all users expierincing this problem to get a seperate discussion room. We should find out what we have in common.

Regards
Peter Guttinger

Peter.Guttinger

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness