You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
(another) Mac System Setup question #1
Labrador's picture
by Labrador
January 10, 2014 - 7:11pm

I am very fortunate to have just been given a maxed out 27” iMac with 3TB fusion drive.  I would really appreciate any input on the setup I am considering building around the new machine.

Current Setup:

• RMBP 15” w’ 500G SSD
  • 27” Thunderbolt Display for dual display setup in my office
  • 1TB+ Aperture library referenced on Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt Drive (most recent photos are on MBPR for constant access, migrated to referenced quarterly)
  • ‘On it’s last legs’ FW drive used as Time Machine backup
  • Offsite backup via CrashPlan

Potential Setup

• 27” iMac as primary machine with Aperture library managed locally on the fusion drive
  • Keep 27” Thunderbolt Display for dual setup in office
  • Sell RMPB to fund smaller MBA-R for travel and work away from the office
  • Repurpose Pegasus as Time Machine backup drive, retire FW drive before it dies, keep CrashPlan active

The biggest thing for me to get used to will be having my primary machine as a desktop vs a laptop.  I will have to export the photos and projects  I am currently working on to the MBA, and be disciplined about doing that, as I am away from the office a decent amount.  I think I can live with the tradeoff of the smaller MacBook screen for the enhanced portability.

Are there any other potential issues I am missing here, or things I should consider.  I suppose I could sell the iMac and keep my current setup, but that wouldn’t be as much fun.  I’m going to need to sleep on this one and consider a lot of different setups over the weekend.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 11, 2014 - 12:35am

This is quite a doable setup. You may want a USB powered external HDD to move data between your MBAr and iMac. That will make migrating data between them easier.

Labrador's picture
by Labrador
January 10, 2014 - 7:57pm

Good idea.  I do have  small Seagate USB drive I can use for that.

I am hoping that when I can in the office, I can network the MBA and iMac via Thunderbolt and transfer that way as well?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 11, 2014 - 12:34am

Put wifi in your office and your MBAr can map shares from the iMac or share a NAS drive.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness