You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on spec'ing new iMac #1
Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
October 22, 2013 - 9:34am

Any advice on specifying a new 27” iMac would be appreciated.
I presently have a 27-inch, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB, OS X 10.8.5 mid 2010
I have 62,000 items in my Aperture Library that are managed. I have 30,000 items still in iPhoto Library. My Macintosh HD is 75% full (2/3 of that is listed under “Other” in yellow in the graph in About This Mac - Storage) An Apple support person told me that Aperture edits wind up in “Other” rather than in “Photos” Is this true?
Performance is fine. The only reason I'm getting a new iMac is because my husband needs a new computer and is willing to take my hand-me-down.
It has been suggested that I get a 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive. Any other suggestions? i5 or i7? Anything else I should consider?
Thanks!

Susan

Darrell H's picture
by Darrell H
October 23, 2013 - 9:29am

I purchased a 27” iMac last year when they updated it. Fusion drive is well worth the hype and if you take a lot of photos I would suggest the 3TB version to allow you to grow. Ram is the only user upgradable feature so I would suggest go with larger hard drive and fusion drive first then processor then video ram. If you can afford it max it out in that order and upgrade the ram via third party. I purchased mine with everything maxed except ram (went with 16GB) and have no issues what so ever running everything from Aperture, to Photoshop, to creating movies in iMovie. I really think the fusion drive was the best upgrade. Really speeds things up.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 22, 2013 - 10:14am

My rule of thumb is get the biggest fastest you can afford. I can rarely afford the fastest.

Thomas

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
October 22, 2013 - 3:42pm

Hi Susan
Not long ago I joined the Mac community for the first time,
I decided to max out a new 27” iMac

I had reservations about going for the 768GB SSD, (now 1TB I believe),
In the end, I decided to get the 768GB SSD and just keep the current year in Aperture, and have the rest on external USB3 drives which load very fast

I guess the choice is dependent on how much you want on the Mac, if a lot, 3TB Fusion would be my choice

My silent device is a dream to use, and fast
Regards,
Gary

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?