You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
A3 printing - detail loss #1
John McGibbon's picture
by John McGibbon
July 20, 2011 - 5:38am

Hi All,
Recently I've been using LR3 not because I prefer it to A3 but when I print from both the prints from LR have more detail on them (just to clarify I'm not referring to colour or light/dark shifts).
Both are set to 300dpi which is the resolution of my printer and as far as I can tell the only difference is LR has a check box for 16bit printing. Does A3 have similar or is it not actually printing in 16bit which would explain the loss of detail.
Thanks in advance,
John.

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 20, 2011 - 11:17am

try exporting your pics U wish to print off A3 as 16-bit tiff files? Huge, I know, that’s all I can think of off the top of me tired head : )

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 20, 2011 - 1:22pm

John,

If you print from L3 but do not select 16-bit, does the print look the same as from Aperture?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
July 25, 2011 - 4:49am

Hi John,

I would like to know which printer you are currently using?

One thing you may want to check is to make sure you are not doing double profiling.
Meaning either you let Aperture and or Lightroom or if you use Photoshop manage your color or you use the printer managed feature. You do not want to use both at the same time as that will mess up your output. I hardly ever use printer management. However with that said some of these newest printers on the market are getting better with color management. Check out Derrick Story’s review of the new Epson Stylus Photo R2000 as he tales about using the printer color management:
http://thedigitalstory.com/2011/07/epson_r2000_affordab.html

Stu

John McGibbon's picture
by John McGibbon
July 25, 2011 - 5:02am

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your thoughts, I’ll try with some paper profiles and check the difference. I tried Joseph’s suggestion and printed from LR3 without 16 bit checked and it is closer to the AP3 print, but still better.

I’m going to experiment with the contrast in the AP3 print dialog to see if that brings out the detail as it looks “flatter” than in LR3.

I’m using a Canon 9500 MkII and have for a few years, I might be being picky but a client mentioned it to me once and now I’m obsessed.

I’m happy with the colour calibration and really prefer the AP3 workflow, but use LR3 ONLY because of the output.

Also, I’m printing from CR2 files, I’m not sure if LR3’s RAW convertor works better with CR2 files or not?

I’ll check out the review, thanks for the link.

John.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
July 25, 2011 - 5:28am

John,

One other note I forgot to mention if you have not already done so, was to make sure you are up to date with you printer drivers/software. For your print check here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pi…

Stu

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
July 25, 2011 - 5:33am

John,

I think the link may have been messed up with the last posting about your printer.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=18…

Stu

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?