You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
3.4.3 hangs at startup #1
John Wilkes's picture
by John Wilkes
February 3, 2013 - 3:02am

I finally upgraded my iMac (iMac7,1 Core 2 Duo) from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and Aperture from 3.2.2 to 3.4.3. When I start Aperture, all I get is its menu bar with most of the options grayed out. Activity monitor shows it's using 100% of one core.

I've tried all of the suggestions in the forums here: removed Aperture preferences, deleted and re-installed Aperture from the App Store, etc. Makes no difference if I start Aperture while pressing Option or Option-Command; I get no windows asking me which library to use or showing repair/rebuild options. I re-installed Mountain Lion. I deleted my Aperture library (after backing it up). I found and deleted every file on the system with “Aperture” in the name. Nothing makes any difference; all I get is the menu bar and a pegged CPU.

I determined that it's something in my account. I created a new account and copied my Aperture library to it. Aperture started up normally and upgraded my library to 3.4; it runs fine in a different account on the same machine.

The only solution I see is to delete my account, make a new one, and restore my data, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any other suggestions?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 4, 2013 - 12:59am

You may need to re install Mountain lion. I think I remember reading, on the second best forum Mac support :), that there was a problem going from SL to ML . think they or maybe it was here saying to be sure to do the combo update of ML. I dont have all my marbles so Id read about and hopefully some one will pipe in with a better answer.

You did try Disk utilities permissions? and before installing ML Id try a safety boot and Fsck. See FAQ on this site for maintenance Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

John Wilkes's picture
by John Wilkes
February 4, 2013 - 3:58am

Thanks, but as I said above, I’ve already re-installed Mountain Lion. I also tried Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility. Haven’t tried a manual fsck yet, but I will; good suggestion.

Aperture 3.4.3 on ML works fine with my 3.2.2 library in a newly created account. The library is updated to 3.4 and everything works.

Aperture 3.4.3 hangs only in my account, which suggests to me that the problem is not the ML installation but something in my account that’s not in a newly created account on the same machine.

John Wilkes's picture
by John Wilkes
February 4, 2013 - 6:40am

Tried fsck from single user mode; made no difference.

I installed the ML Combo update from the apple.com download link instead of the App Store; made no difference.

I guess I’m going to have to back up my account, then delete it, make a new one, and restore my docs, keychain, bookmarks, etc. from the backup. Aperture works properly in a newly created account, so this should work, but what pain.

I’m starting to wish I’d never upgraded to ML - or maybe never started with Aperture in the first place. :-(

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 4, 2013 - 8:54am

John it sounds like you are going about it in a correct way. new account is a good idea. Sorry I only know a few tricks which Ive shared already. Hopefully some one else an chime in. Good luck and Im sorry I couldnt help

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 4, 2013 - 8:59am

Did you use iPhoto? and have you upgraded to the newest iPhoto even if you don’t use it?
Long shot.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

John Wilkes's picture
by John Wilkes
February 5, 2013 - 4:36am

Problem solved! I think an old version of the Flip4Mac plugin to QuickTime was causing Aperture to hang. I upgraded Flip4Mac to version 3.0 and Aperture starts properly now. I also upgraded Silverlight at the same time, but I doubt Aperture cares about Silverlight.

I was led to this solution by some suggestions posted on the Aperture forum at discussions.apple.com:

Have you checked your Login items? (in System Preferences > Users&Groups)
And looked for installed kernel extensions (third party software), that are only active when working from your account? For example helper apps, like “Camera”
Non-Standard System Preferences panes, that are only installed for your account (the “Others” brick in “System Preferences”). Look for example for haxies, like Fruit menu, Windowshade,…
Non Apple Quicktime components in : ~/Library/Quicktime or /Library/Quicktime
Non Apple Fonts or duplicate fonts, ~/Library/Fonts

There is a neat little utility script “EtreCeck”. It will run an inventory of your Mac and list non-standard installations. You can download it here: Etresoft: EtreCheck
and paste the result into your next post, if still necessary.

Also, I’d remove the ImageCapture Preferences (~/Library/Preferences/ImageCapture).

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?